Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Mailbag: lyrics requests

From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 88 14:24 PST
Subject: Mailbag: lyrics requests

 To: Love-Hounds
 From: Andrew Marvick (IED)

 >Love Hounds:
 >Anybody out there know what the last 2 or 3 lines are in _Hello_Earth ? It
 >sounds like German, but I don't speak it. What do the lines translate to?

     The words are: "Ergendwo in der Tiefe, gibt es ein Licht"; which
translates as: "Somewhere in the deep there is a light". Kate wrote
the words in English, then had a German-speaking friend, Garbi Zangerl
(IED corrects his earlier misspelling), translate and whisper the line
on _The_Ninth_Wave_. (That's right, it's not Kate's voice you hear.)

 >Also, somebody mentioned the "overtracked" lyrics in Experiment IV. Y'know,
 >right after "But the dream is your enemy....." (I think those are the words).
 >Anybody know what she is saying?
 >
 >-- Michael Taube                 "..Soul birds of a feather flock together.."

     You've misidentified the place in the track, Michael. The mystery
message comes directly _before_ the line you mention. (That line reads
"But _that_ dream is your enemy," by the way.) In between the
lines "It could sing you to sleep" and "But that dream..." is a two-bar
instrumental section, in which can be heard what sounds like a spoken
phrase or sentence, heavily processed and over-dubbed, and possibly
even mixed up with backwards sounds. In the Wogan Show lip-synch
performance Kate appeared dressed in a white
lab coat, seated behind a desk bearing a computer console
and monitor. Behind her were _two_ Fairlight CMIs and a drum kit,
plus one of those synthesiser-guitars, all manned by KT Bush Band
members in white lab coats. Also, the violin virtuoso Nigel Kennedy
appeared in the middle to play the violin solo, dressed in military
uniform. During the "mystery" section, there is a camera shot of the
screen of the computer monitor on Kate's desk, on which appears a
crude computer-generated moving image of Paddy Bush mouthing some
words in synch with the word-like sounds in that passage.
     If anyone knows what those words are, please let him/her share
them with the group. (For the record, IED thinks he hears the words
"I bet my mum's gonna buy me a new toy instrument.")
     As for the sounds just _after_ the line "But that dream...",
there are some vocal noises (along with a spooky, high, eight-times-
repeated string-sound reminiscent of Bernard Herrmann's famous
motif from _Psycho_), but IED has no confidence that these are
actual words.

-- Andrew Marvick