Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Bulgarian Music

From: mcvax!inf.rl.ac.uk!nbc@uunet.UU.NET
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 88 10:45:41 gmt
Subject: Bulgarian Music

>From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
>     On another Kate-related note: Trio Bulgarka, the trio of
>female Bulgarian folk singers who are currently on tour in the
>U.S. with their parent-group, the Radio Sofia/Bulgarian National
>Women's Choir, appeared tonight on the NBC late-night show
>_Michelob's_Sunday_Night_.
>They sang three songs, including _Strati_Angelaki_, of which Kate
>recently said: "If they sing _Strati_Angelaki_ to me I can't
>take it. I have to leave the room. It just makes me cry; and there
>are very few things musically that affect me like that."
>     Incidentally, the Trio Bulgarka's latest album (and their
>first on their own in the West), called _The_Forest_is_Crying_, is
>out on CD (the Hannibal label). It is incredibly neat.

The news about _The_Forest_is_Crying_ being on CD is very welcome. I looked
for it in the shops over here about a month ago but could only find the
vinyl version. I will now have another look. About that time, however, I
did get hold of a copy of "Balkana - The Music of Bulgaria" on CD: also on
the Hannibal label. This features the soloists and musicians of Radio Sofia,
including Trio Bulgarka, Yanka Rupkina solo, and several male singers and
musicians. The track _Strati_Angelaki_ is included on this disc. It is well
worth a listen for a slightly wider range of Bulgarian music. One word of
warning - on my copy the running order on the disc did not correspond with
the sleeve notes.

Be seeing you
		Neil.