Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Mailbag, Kate-echism XVIII.12.xiii

From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 88 15:21 PST
Subject: Mailbag, Kate-echism XVIII.12.xiii

 To: Love-Hounds
 From: Andrew Marvick (IED)

 > Last night, on a local public radiostation (WEVO,Concord, NH) program called
 > New Sounds_, the announcer mentioned the broadcast of a live performance by
 > DonalLunny and Liam O'Flynn onthe aforementioned program.This live broadcast
 > is to take place on January 29th, 1989. Just where the performanceis goingto
 > originateis a bit confusing,because themailing address for anycorrespondence
 > regarding the _New Sounds_ programis in New York. Just thought Love_Hounds
 > would want to know this.

     Thanks for the tip, Ken. IED, in L.A., can only hope that this show
will be syndicated nationally somehow. Liam and Donal did a couple of
things live on their present tour that IED doesn't think they have
ever recorded (though he's certainly no expert). Could this be
broadcast as part of the _Thistle_and_Shamrock_ series, do you know?

 > Lizooshka, Kate is wearing a wig in the _Cloudbusting_ video. No need to
 > worry about her hair being cut. Kate revealed this info in the article she
 > wrote for #19th issue of the KBC _Newsletter_.
 >
 >-- Ken Adey

     IED has the sneaking suspicion that Auntie knew that already,
Ken. Even so, IED doesn't believe it. As far as he's concerned, that's
little Peter Reich up there on the screen. (That's loyalty for you.)

 > Many thanks...to IED for his fulsome explanation. Andrew, I *do* love you.
 > You know everything.

     Hey, Lizoosh, dollink, let's you and IED get married! No-one would
have to know you're his aunt...

 > My other question (forgotten at the time of my last posting) was,
 > where could one find a copy of John Carder Bush's _Cathy_?

     There are still copies available, IED believes. Order from
Kindlight (that's John Carder Bush's photography firm), P.O. Box 30,
Welling, Kent DA16 3DL. IED believes the price is still the same: 17
Pounds, 20 Pence, plus about 3 Pounds 80 pence for first-class postage to
the U.S. Total: 21 Pounds (about $40.00--yeah, it _is_ a bundle.) Kindlight
once requested that overseas orders be paid in the form of an international
bank draft, but IED guesses that carefully wrapped/disguised Sterling
currency would not be rejected. The book is about 8x10". It's an ecru-
coloured tweedy-surfaced hardbound book of about 100 pages, in a beige card-
paper slipcase. It contains about 50 black-and-white photographs which
John took of his sister when she was about 8 years old and he about 22. There
is a brief introduction by John about his little sister and himself in that
year (1964-5) and each photograph is preceded by a page with a frame cut out
of the middle (showing part of the photo behind it) and a one- or
two-line caption reflecting John's personal memories of the shot.
The photographs have all been extremely well reproduced in "duo-tint"
black-and-white, which gives the prints a wonderful richness
of tone. Naturally, John's prose is flawless and typically
poetic, but _not_ factually informative at all. Anyone hoping mainly
for concrete information about Kate's activities as a child will
surely be disappointed. Anyone wishing to glean a sense
of the atmosphere of Kate's childhood family-life, may be
very pleased. Also any enthusiast of deliberately non-modern photography
showing the influence of Pre-Raphaelite and Arts-and-Crafts-movement
art.
     When he first published _Cathy_, John was planning the book
as the first in a trilogy of photography collections. The second
was to have centered on Catherine as an adolescent, and the third
on Kate Bush as a mature artist. However, when sales of _Cathy_
didn't even begin to cover the costs of printing the book, John
shelved the larger plan. But IED has recently had indirect word
from John that the trilogy's completion is once again being
considered.

 > We need a new album, dammit!  We're running out of things to fight
 > about! :-)

     Never! It's interesting how Love-Hounds seems to thrive
on fierce, pointless arguments over Ktrivial matters. IED will
put on his thinking-cap to try to come up with something specially
annoying to argue over--just for you, Lizoo. (That's love for you!)

 >FULL name is Enya ni Bhraonain; she's the sister of Maire, the singer
 >for Clannad. Enya previously was a part of Clannad, and then was in
 >Sinead O'Connor's band, and is now solo.
 >-- Mike

     You're right, it wasn't mentioned here in Love-Hounds, though
it should have been. But IED didn't know of any Sinead O'Connor/Enya
Brennan connection--where did you learn of that?

 > From: marsal1!iemisi.smartin@uunet.UU.NET (Stephen Martin)
 >
 > Here is a question concerning a Kate Bush album that i saw in a used record
 > store here in Toronto this weekend.  It was a three album set called, i
 > believe _Kate_Bush_Live_in_Europe_  the cover had two nice early pictures of
 > Kate and the price was $60. I have never seen this album before and have not
 > seen it listed in any discographys. Is it rare, is it worth forking over the
 > big bucks for??

     That all depends on whether you already know all the bits and pieces of
unreleased music and spoken words that were heard in Kate's live shows (about
half of which are included on record 3 of the set, which consists of excerpts
from the Paris concert very poorly recorded with a Walkman by someone in the
audience); or the _Hammersmith_Odeon_ video's soundtrack (in rather poor
stereo taken from the Hi-fi version of the video, and making up record 1
of the set); or the soundtrack (taken from the TV set, poor mono sound) of
Kate's 1979 "Christmas" special _Kate_ (record 2 of the set). And even if you
don't know all that stuff, it'll still depend on how much it's worth to you
--in other words, just how fanatical a Kate fan you are.
     The fact is, though, that _Kate_Bush_Live_in_Europe_ is
usually available at record meets for not more than $30.00, and
sometimes for as little as $18.00. Anyone trying to get $60.00
for it is definitely trying to rip you off. IED's advice is not to
let them do it. Shop around instead: check the record-meet
calendar in _Goldmine_, attend a meet, search, and hope.

 >  From: dhsu@Sun.COM (David Hsu)
 >
 >> Date:    Mon, 12 Dec 88 02:13 PST
 >
 >  Working a bit late, weren't we, Andrew?

     Eagle eye, Dave. IED wasn't working at that hour, though. He was
pining for his Auntie Lizoo...

 >>...Trio Bulgarka.
 >
 > I caught this one by accident while flipping through the channels.They
 > gave a wonderful performance.Particularly striking was the ease with
 > which they sang.I'd always pictured Bulgarian folk singing as a high
 > air-pressure endeavor.

     Yeah, but you could see Yanka's steely vocal-cords
thrashing around inside her throat, sweltering forth those
gorgeous, endless, supernatural melismas: "Pilentse Pei..."

-- Andrew Marvick