Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

kate bush wanted to RERECORD for her The Whole Story LP ???

From: emory!colm@gatech.edu (Colm Mulcahy)
Date: 12 Dec 88 02:42:12 GMT
Subject: kate bush wanted to RERECORD for her The Whole Story LP ???
Newsgroups: rec.music.misc, rec.music.gaffa

in  <8812102321.AA21632@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> daemon@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU says:
Really-From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@MITVMA.MIT.EDU

> > My question was, how did Kate choose which songs to put on TWS? She's had
> >more singles that appear there, and I, for one, was disappointed in herg
> >not including Suspended in Gaffa and The Big Sky.
>
>     Kate has said that it wasn't her idea to put out a greatest
>hits LP in the first place, and that EMI were planning to put
>it out whether she participated or not. She has also said that
>she only had a very short period of time between their notification
>of plans to release the album and video and the time it was actually
>released. She said she would have liked, for instance, to have been
>able to re-record all of the early tracks on the album, but that
>she was so pressed for time that she was forced to re-record only
>the vocal track from _Wuthering_Heights_.

i for one am glad she didn't get a chance to rerecord the rest. this is
a horrible habit certain artists have, usually when their old label won't
let them use the original versions (Little Richard, Mungo Jerry etc).
in other cases the artist just wants to tamper with history (like the new
john mayall release of tha early 70s LP with clapton et al on it ....)
i've yet to hear a good reason.

lack of perfection is no reason as far as i'm concerned. if everyone was
allowed patch up earlier mistakes every time a compilation lp went out,
well words fail me !

what's the reason ?? originals not good enough any more ??? i'm surprised
that gaffa folk would swallow that argument, after all every thing she ever
did is totally perfect right ?!

--
Colm Mulcahy         |  colm@mathcs.emory.edu             PREFERRED
c/o Emory University |  {sun!sunatl,gatech}!emory!colm    UUCP