Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

*Another* Kate Biography, MisK., Enya

From: sco!scol!craig@uunet.UU.NET
Date: 10:45:21 PM Thu 01 Dec 1988 GMT
Subject: *Another* Kate Biography, MisK., Enya

I presume the recent profusion (is two a profusion? it is in this
context!) of Kate biographies is due to the publishers trying to
coincide with the release of KBVI - they should have known better!

Be that as it may, I was innocently browsing through my local bookshop
(looking for a T.Rex bio, incidentally - are there any in print?), when
I was assaulted by "KATE BUSH: A Visual Documentary" by Kevin Cann &
Sean Mayes (a couple of thoroughly disreputable-looking musos, judging
by their pics on the back cover - I liked them immediately!).  Seeing
as it was a paperback, I bought it there and then, even though it was 8
pounds 95 (logic? who said anything about logic!).

It's large format (9" x 11.5"), about 100 pages, and _slightly_ more
text than photos.  Many of the photos are colour, full page.  There are
sidebars on every page of text with smaller photos and a chronology
which roughly relates to the chapter headings.

The style is factual and informative, and the author's prejudices don't
intrude (that could be just because they agree with mine, but I don't
detect any obvious adulatory bias).  It _seems_ to be pretty
comprehensive (I don't claim to be an expert, IED and |>oug are welcome
to that position!) It covers much the same ground as Mr. Juby's book
that I reviewed a couple of weeks ago, but its comparative shortness
is due to the lack of the "gossipy" bits and personal opinions that
spoiled that particular work for me.

The photos were almost all new to me - I found some of those of Kate to
be perhaps unflattering, particularly the cover, but it's growing on
me.  There are a number of pics of relevant people and places (her
school, the family, Del, etc.) which were interesting.

The best bit (by far, for me) is the appendix of various lists - the
disc(+)ography is the most complete I have yet seen, including notable
bootlegs, all the film work, books and compilation LPs (also the most
up-to-date, including "Sister & Brother" with Midge Ure).  There's a
representative list of fanzines (including an address to get info on
Jay's limited-edition photo-collection "Cathy"), and finally some
amusing trivia lists (Kate's favourite artists, likes and dislikes).

And, while I'm here:

Thanks, IED, for the helpful info about Brazil and the BBC "Kate" special.

When I asked:

> ...  I also keep hearing about the rare and fabulously expensive
> Canadian interview disc - since this is so difficult to obtain, would it
> be legal to get a cassette recording of it?  Does anyone here have it
> anyway?

You replied:

>      You would have to be more specific in describing the nature of the
> marbleized vinyl for IED to help you in assessing its value.

Either this is a joke I am not appreciating, or you miss my point.
I don't have this; I'd like to hear it; how do I go about achieving my goal?
(BTW, the "Visual Documentary" tells me it's EMI America SPRO 282).

Love Hounds: Douglas Weiman and I are engaging in personal email discussing
the merits of Ne T'Enfuis Pas - let me know if you'd like to be included.

Finally, would anyone like to "compare and contrast" Enya's first album
with "Watermark"?  I bought Watermark on the strength of the No.1 single
"Orinoco Flow", but found the rest of the album to be merely "nice" (don't
worry, though, I'm not about to give this one away!).  Is her first album
any stronger?

	"There Goes A Tenner" (8.95, actually),

		- Craig.
---
 O__ ....	Craig R.P. Heath	    Europe:
/|   bang	SCO Ltd., LONDON, UK     	...!ukc!pyrltd!scol!craig
/ \		+44 923 816344 x417	    Internet: craig@sco.COM