Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Clannad and Kate and Celts

From: munnari!uowcsa.oz.au!stephen%uowcsa.cs.uow.oz.OZ@uunet.UU.NET (Stephen Nicholson)
Date: 23 Nov 88 01:43:38 GMT
Subject: Re: Clannad and Kate and Celts
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

> Really-From: Detlef Richter <uph002%ddohrz11.bitnet@GAFFA.MIT.EDU>
> Does anyone of You like Clannad, Ireland and irish mythology?  I would
> like to know about books on gaelic, celtic, and gothic times,
> Cuchulainn, erse usquebaugh (!?!?) and so on.(And K A T E 's
> connection to myth.)

	I quite like Clannad and have a CD of theirs (Macalla) and a few
tapes as well. They were in Australia a few months ago and some friends
of mine went to see them. I breated them severely for not getting me a
ticket, Apparantly, they sound every bit as clear and harmonious on stage
as they do on their albums.

	I have quite an interest as well in Celtic and Gaelic legend and
mythos. Its wonderful stuff. The fantasy fiction books that follow this
line are amongst my favourites. As to the connection with KaTe, I'm not
sure. Certainly her music is very deep minded and alive with subconcious
imagery. I find that many myths tend to also be like that. Jung has a lot
to say on the subject (not that I'm necessarily a Jungian). Basically
KaTe's music can scare the shit out of me, especially the Ninth Wave.

	Although I couldn't say off hand if KaTe draws imagery directly
from any particular mythos, it is entirely possible that these sorts
of legends are the sort of thing tht she may have been bought up on on
in her childhood. This would probably have an affect on her music.

	I have a small personal library of books on Celtic legends. They
are not too hard to pick up, although finding something reasonably
authentic could be a problem. If you want the titles, then feel free to
mail me and discuss it.

					Stephen

 Stephen Nicholson		ACSnet:	stephen@uowcsa
 Dept. of Computing Science	UUCP:	...!munnari!uowcsa.oz!stephen
 Uni. of Wollongong		ARPA:	stephen%uowcsa.oz@uunet.UU.NET

[Oh mighty OGBO save us from sobriety and teach us a sense of the ridiculous]