Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

** 4AD: MUSICA IMPACT #2 (long: save & reply)

From: well!okay@LLL-CRG.LLNL.GOV (S. Yano)
Date: 24 Oct 88 03:54:46 GMT
Subject: ** 4AD: MUSICA IMPACT #2 (long: save & reply)
Newsgroups: rec.music.misc, rec.music.classical, rec.music.synth, rec.music.gaffa

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-*-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

   MUSICA IMPACT         23 October 1988        Vol. 1, No. 2

     Interactive  communication devoted to incredible alternative
music, with focus on 4AD and other arcane matters.

     This  digest  depends on your input,  so  please  send  your
comments  to  the editor.    Extensive reviews of recordings  and
performances are especially welcome.

     All participants will be placed on a distribution list.   We
hope   that   this   will  develop  into   a   worthy   inter-net
correspondence  among enthusiasts.    You may re-distribute to an
appropriate news group or computer system, especially to the U.K.
and continental Europe.

   S. Yano, editor                        Berkeley, California

            UUCP:        ucbvax!hplabs!well!okay
            ARPA:        well!okay@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
            MCI Mail:    209-9813
            Compuserve:  use Easyplex with MCI addressing.

          { my comments appear between curly brackets }

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-*-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

     We are going to scrap the title TYPE FOR.A.D. DIGEST.   It's
clear from the responses that our scope should extend beyond  the
4AD recording label.

                  FOLLOWUP ON PREVIOUS ISSUE

     RE:  xmal deutschland, _fetisch_
     "xmal, as i remember, was slightly pop german ranting (i did
not care for it  much)."

{  I  would  agree.     Xmal  needs  to  get  more  diverse   and
sophisticated with respect to their compositions. }

     "i  thought  _Wings of Desire_ was the best movie i've  seen
this year. Nick Cave as a plot device.  who woulda thought."

{  For  those  interested in tracking down the tune  called  'The
Carny' played in the movie,  it's on Nick Cave's _Your Funeral My
Trial_ .    The cut is very reminiscent of the Door's 'The  End.'
I  thought  Cave  was rather impressive in the  Berlin  nightclub
scene, but the disc in its entirety was just so-so. }

     "... the Pixies and the Throwing Muses (both Boston bands on
4AD) also the The was on 4AD for a while."

{ I heard that the Pixies played in Berkeley several weeks ago at
the  Berkeley  Square.    Anyone want to comment on  their  show?
Throwing Muses' _House Tornado_ seems to be now on Sire  Records,
and hence domestically priced. }

     "...  my  girlfriend saw { XYMOX } twice on their last tour,
once in New York,  and then again in Chicage and as neither  show
did they perform _no words_.   wonder why?"

         { Any conjectures?   Where was Pieter Nooten? }

     RE:  Harold Budd collaboration with Eno
{ Check out:
          _The Plateaux of Mirror_  EG-EGS-301
          _The Pearl_               EG-EGED-37
     John Schafer [1987]:  "... Budd's music is drifting, cosmic,
and often has an ominous undercurrent running through it.   These
recordings practically define the term ambient."   }

                 UNFINISHED STUFF (ie. projects)

Colorbox  sounded  awfully  fragmented and  chaotic.    Are  they
generally that way?

Comparative analysis between:
     Pieter Nooten's _Sleeps with the Fishes_
     David Darling's _Journal October_ 1979, ECM-1-1161
       (Listen especially to the tracks called 'Clouds'.)

Cocteau Twins has a cd out on 'conversation series'
    supposedly it's  in-depth  interviews...
    Is it worth getting?   { probably not; see below }

What are the Cocteau Twin's musical influences?

                           *    *    *

From: cogsci!pyramid.com!garth!hal (Hal Broome)

     If you want some scoops on the Cocteau Twins, I can probably
help;  a  friend  of  mine in Scotland (are you  ready  for  this
classic  bit?)  has  a girlfriend whose friend's boyfriend  is  a
famous soccer player that the Twins love .  .  . anyway! they run
into  them occasionally and can probably come up  with  something
interesting for you; I'm writing him in a few days and can try to
weasel something out of him.

{ Cocteau Twins seem pretty evasive when it comes to  interviews.
My suggestion is to avoid the word 'interview' altogether.   Just
get  drunk over warm beer and chat...    We'll stand-by for  your
followup on this.  }

     When I lived in Scotland I caught them live: simply amazing.
Although  Fraser  was having trouble with her  voice,  she  still
overwhelmed the other two members,  a guitar player/boyfriend and
the bass player;  drums were supplied by tape,  and when they had
an unexpected second encore,  she said "you'll have to wait until
we rewind the tape!"

     If  you are ever in Edinburgh,  they like to have picnics in
"The Links," which is south of Edinburgh Castle;  it is part of a
larger  park,  and has the characteristic bumps and greens  of  a
golf  course  (which  is no doubt why golf  was  invented  there;
natives  of  Edinburgh  claim  the Links is where  the  game  was
invented,  but St.  Andrews begs to differ!).  I used to pass the
C.T's on the way to school there about 11:00 in the morning; they
were already into the champagne. Probably were recording there, I
suppose;  their hometown is Grangemouth, which is at the mouth of
the Firth of Forth.

     I  have  some  John Peel sessions which  never  made  it  to
record,  heh,  heh. A friend of mine from Scotland who just moved
here  has some E.P.'s that may not be available here:  would  you
like a list?

{ Sure... a complete C.T. discography would be very informative.}

                           *    *    *

From: cogsci!Xerox.COM!"Hildegarde_E._Minstein.LAX1B"

     I  appreciate  being put on the  digest.  What  a  wonderful
surprise!  I  don't have any more to contibute at his  time,  I'm
just  now  learning  about 4AD.  Please keep  the  digest  coming
though, as I hope to be able to contribute in the future.

{  Hilly,  I thought your comments on This Mortal Coil were good.
I  bet  you  bought _It'll End  in  Tears_  anyways...   Feedback
appreciated.  }

                           *    *    *

Article 19507-8 of rec.music.misc:
From: schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur)

The  boxed,  limited edition,  of _Lonely Is An Eyesore_ (the 4AD
compilation)  has a COMPLETE 4AD discography listed (up  to  that
album  which  was Fall,  1987),  I will type this up and post  it
tomorrow,  I have to go home and get the album first. Also, check
out the Video for _Lonely Is An Eyesore_,  it contains a clip for
EVERY song on the album and it is spectacular.

{  We'll  look forward to getting an electronic  version  of  the
discography from you.   The magazine EMIGRE (issue #9; see below)
carrys the 4AD catalogue up to April 1988. }

      operation.
This is true.  I run videos for clubs in Los Angeles and I get my
stuff  sent  to me directly from  (most)  record  companies.  The
American promotion of 4AD material used to be handled by the same
company  the  handles  American promo of  Beggar's  Banquet,  the
company  is  called "Thirsty Ears" and is out of  New  York.  Two
months  ago  my contact at "Thirsty Ears" gave me  the  name  and
office  of  4AD's new American contact explaining that  they  had
started their own American offices.

                           *    *    *

>From lamc!netsys!pyrdc!RELAY.CS.NET!uunet!tektronix.tek.com!
     reed!tart   <Stephanie Shelton  pyrdc!uunet!reed!tart>
     Eddie Tarantula.  p.s. I am not Stephanie Shelton.

     RE:   BAUHAUS.      ...  the  burning question for a lot  of
people would be Is It Appropriate to Discuss Bauhaus?  They  were
4AD's first and biggest stars, but now they're no longer together
and their constituents, while having done lots of neat stuff, did
it on other labels.
     If  Bauhaus is included in this 'digest,' then someone ought
to include the complete geneology.  Here it is as I know it  (and
there area few holes):
     Bauhaus:  Peter Murphy, David J., Kevin Haskins, Daniel Ash.
They broke up (I don't know the dates), and . . . Ash and Haskins
formed  Tones  On  Tail  along with a  bassist  who's  name  I've
forgotten. Lots of 12-inch singles and _The Album POP_.
     Meanwhile,  David  J.  recorded 2 solo records (not so  well
known).  One  was called _Crockidile Tears and the Velvet  Cosh_,
and  I'll review it someday if anyone's interested.  I don't know
if  it was on 4AD --I doubt it.  The other one I forget the  name
and  I've  never heard it.  David J.  also spent some time  as  a
psuedo-member   of  The  Jazz  Butcher   Conspiracy.   On   their
compilation  album _Bloody Nonsense_,  he plays assorted  tracks.
Daniel Ash produced one track on this, I think.
     Meanwhile,  Peter  Murphy  got  together and did  all  those
things that rec.music.misc has been going on about (_Dali's  Car_
and  2  solo albums).  Then J.,  Ash and Haskins formed Tones  On
Tail. The rest is open to interpretation.

     RE:   COCTEAU TWINS Performance.     My friend Benjy told me
that  when he saw the Twins in concert,  they played with a  huge
reel-to-reel in the back of the stage where a drummer would be. A
lot  easier than bringing a whole drum machine with effects racks
and sequencing everything.  (Although they may have done that  --
the tape deck could have been a prop, like in Stop Making Sense.)
     Elizabeth  Frasier  taught  Sinead O'Connor  everything  she
knows.

     Please put me on the distribution list for future issues  of
whatever  tasteful phrase you change the name to.  I'm sure  some
4AD  artist  must  have  a  sufficiently  neat  &  obscure  lyric
somewhere you could use.

{  I  got the digest's new name MUSICA IMPACT from my  first  4ad
disc that just blew my mind, Dead Can Dance (CAD-404). }

                           *    *    *

From: hplabs!ucbvax!uwvax!oddjob.uchicago.edu!nsacray!paul
      Paul Guthrie   ihnp4!chinet!nsacray!paul

     RE:    EMIGRE  magazine.      Its  nice  to  see  other  4AD
enthusiasts on the net. Has anyone seen the 4AD fanzine, Emigre'?
Its full of interesting facts. I just got to browse one once. You
can't even get it at Chicago Wax Trax,  so it must be hard to get
a hold of.

{ EMIGRE,  issue no.  9, is devoted to 4AD musicians and artists:
eg.  Ivo,  Cocteau  Twins,  Throwing Muses,  23 Envelope  (Vaughn
Oliver  and  Nigel Grierson).    It contains wonderful quotes and
excerpts from interviews,  but it is apparently NOT an  exclusive
4AD fanzine.   Previous issues have nothing to do with 4AD.   The
emphasis  seems  to be graphics,  which is excellent.    I  would
highly  recommend  getting issue  no.  9,  especially  for  those
interested in the production and design aspects of 4AD.   I think
it can be ordered by mail for $6.95 + $1.00 handling, from:
               Emigre Graphics, 48 Shattuck Square, #175,
               Berkeley, CA  94704   (Tel:  415-845-9021)       }

     RE:    XYMOX.       Anyway,  I am mostly into Xymox (ex Clan
of).  I  like the self-titled album the best,  but enjoy it  all.
Rumour has it that there is a new album due out at the end of the
month,  but  I  have no further info,  like if `Blind Hearts'  EP
tracks will be on. With any luck they will tour. I saw them twice
last tour (fantastic!), in Chicago and Milwaukee.

     If anybody gets a chance, go see bands in Milwaukee. Beer is
cheep,  but  most  places bands play (like the  Oddrock)  are  so
small,  they  play to less than a hundred fans.  I'm  considering
driving  up  to  see  Flock of Seagulls (are  they  really  still
together) on Thursday.  I've also seen Throwing Muses a couple of
times, and enjoyed both shows thouroughly.

     The Pieter Nooten (of Xymox)/ Michael Brook CD `Sleeps  with
the Fishes',  could only be described as uninspired,  and frankly
boring.

     As  for  the  new  Cocteau Twins,  I  must  agree  with  the
overproduced  crowd.  It  is  still very  enjoyable,  and  sounds
fantastic on CD.

     As for the Wolfgang Press,  I personally love `The Legendary
Wolfgang  Press and Other Tall Stories' -they give  `Respect'  an
original, and (excuse the pun), respectable cover.

{  Could  someone  please compare _Legendary_ with  _Standing  Up
Straight_?    The latter took me six listenings until it grew  on
me.    One  could easily flippantly discard them as they could be
sort of annoying at first... }

     By  the way,  on a non-4AD note,  the new Skinny Puppy album
should be out any day,  along with a movie,  `It Aint Dead  Yet'.
Also a new Ministry single, `The Land of Rape and Honey'.

                           *    *    *

From: hplabs!ucbvax!seismo.CSS.GOV!convex!infoswx!athens!bert
      Bert Campbell  convex!infoswx!bert

     I  heard my first Cocteau Twins (CT) less than a year ago  -
they are probably my "favorite" band at this time.  I have 80-90%
of their stuff on one medium or another.

     RE:   COLIN  NEWMAN.     However,  they were not the 1st 4AD
artists I listened to. Colin Newman (of Wire [in?]fame) did three
interesting 4AD albums at the turn of the decade.

          A-Z (1980) A great album.  A cover of one song, _Alone_
          appears on the This Mortal Coil _Filigree and Shadow_.

          Provisionally  Entitled  the  Singing  Fish  (1980)  -a
          collection of instrumentals titled Fish 1 through  Fish
          12. Decent stuff.

          Not To (1981) -Another conventional (songs with vocals)
          work  with  a strange cover of the Beatles'  _Blue  Jay
          Way_ (probably before your time)

     In any event,  reading the notes about _Filigree and Shadow_
prompted me to listen to it some more.  When I first bought it, I
was  disappointed  -having got it because of the  supposed  heavy
inclusion  of  CT  work,  only  to  find  very  little  of  same.
Musically,  it is more enjoyable on subsequent listens,  although
the vocals on _The Jeweller_ makes my skin  crawl.  However,  the
covers  of Colin Newman's _Alone_ and the Talking Heads'  _Drugs_
are respectably performed....

     Speaking of which.. would someone care to post a list of all
of the CT stuff they've seen on CD?  Of special interest or  some
EPs  including the one with _Peppermint Pig_...  anyone seen that
one on CD???

     RE:  COCTEAU  TWINS  conversation interview.     I  have  an
"interview  picture  disk" that has a ~40 minute  interview  with
Robin  Guthrie  (sounding  very much like he has a  bad  cold  or
permanent  nasal  blockage) and Elizabeth Fraser talking to  some
rock-journalist type.  It is not particularly enlightening but  I
enjoyed listening to it...  There are bits of conversation that I
can't  decipher due to strong accent and poor miking.  Maybe this
(and   other  interview  stuff)  appears  on  this   CD...   just
speculating.

{ Your remarks regarding CT interview are on target.   One of the
guys did sound like under the influence of excessive cough  syrup
:-).
     Cocteau Twins were generally low-key,  and the interview had
many awkward pauses.    The questions were reasonable,  but their
answers  tended  to be rather vague.    The interview  went  like
pulling  teeth.     At one point,  Fraser expressed her  fear  of
getting misquoted and misrepresented, of having "no control" over
print, etc.
     They  described their way of making music as  playing  along
with the drum machine on tape, building up on the bass lines...
     The  lyrics,  contrary  to  many  speculation,  is  not  old
English,  not  Hungrian...    Lyrics  on _Treasure_ based on  old
Scotish words...
     Thanks to Keith Franke for his copy of the interview disc. }

                           *    *    *

Article 19517 of rec.music.misc:
From: hplabs!ucbvax!seismo.CSS.GOV!convex!convexs!strike
      (Professor Fate)

     RE:   Peter Murphy Stuff.     The other solo album by Murphy
is called "Should the World Fail to Fall Apart." In comparison to
Love  Hysteria,  the  record is more like Bauhaus -very  dark  in
sound and emotion.  On "Fail to Fall Apart" Murhpy has a cover of
Magazine's  "Light  Pours Out of Me" and one other cover  on  the
second  side  (I forget the title and the group he  covers).  The
other  songs  are good but not as polished as the  Love  Hysteria
record.  "Never  Man" is one of my favorite songs off that  first
solo record.   It is definitely not like Love and Rockets.

     By the way,  I heard somewhere that Murphy has a solo record
out  before "Fail" although I have never found the  title.  Also,
check out Murphy's work on "Dalis Car" with Mick Karn from Japan.
If  you  like Japan and Bauhaus and Love Hysteria you  will  like
Dalis Car.

     Thanks to all who replied.    This digest is NOT intended to
be  read  only.    Interactive  participation is the key  to  its
existence,  so  if you have derived enjoyment or look forward  to
the  next  issue,  please kindly write back.    (Or  introduce  a
friend who will submit something.)   Let's keep it going...