Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: A need for some reviews

From: chmilar@.ucalgary.ca (Michael Chmilar)
Date: 30 Sep 88 23:10:31 GMT
Subject: Re: A need for some reviews
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Posted-Date: 30 Sep 88 23:10:31 GMT
Sender: calgary!news@UUNET.UU.NET

> From: mimsy!mvp@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (Mahe Velauthapillai)
> Sparks: (?) can't remember the name, but it is a brand new CD on Rhino.
>            (One of the tracks is called "Madonna!")

Being a longtime Sparks fan, I picked up the CD of _Interior_Design_
when I saw it recently in a store.

For those who don't know, Sparks have been putting out records since
about 1972, have gone through various styles, labels, and personnel.
The core of the group has always been the Mael brothers, Ron and
Russell.  They have been very influential in the music business over
the years, and are responsible for establishing the style that Queen
later ripped off with _Bohemian_Rhapsody_.  They also were early
creators in the synth-disco and synth-pop styles.

One of the most endearing qualities of their best work is a sense of
humour presented in their lyrics, stage show, and music.

Now, onto _Interior_Design_.  I was a little relucant to fork out
money for this based on their last rather dismal album
_Music_That_You_Can_Dance_ To_.  I would have done well to follow this
original judgement.  What the Mael brothers appear to be doing is
creating dance music to be played in L.A. clubs.  They do not appear
to be putting too much effort into it.  The instrumentation is
primarily synthesizers, including electro-drums, and while slickly
produced and multi-layered, it is not very enjoyable to listen to.
The arrangements are better than a group of teenagers with a MIDI
controller would come up with, and there are some catchy riffs, so it
does make for passable dance music.

However, they have committed one crime for which I cannot forgive
them: there is almost no humour present in this album!  Most of the
songs contain sappy lyrics about love (a lyric sheet is included - but
why?).  If they contain humour, it is only in a very subtle
tongue-in-cheek fashion which becomes apparent only when you consider
that guys will probably be trying to pick up girls in discos using the
same lines being sung over the PA.  It is a good parody of
shallowness.  The only song which is overtly funny is _Madonna_
(which, on the CD, can be heard in English, Spanish, French, and
German).

I can't recommend this for even die-hard Sparks fans.  For new people,
I would recommend going to a second-hand record store and picking up a
copy of _Kimono_My_House_, _Propaganda_, _Angst_In_My_Pants_, or
_Whomp_That_ Sucker_.