Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Lyrics

From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 88 12:30 PDT
Subject: Lyrics
Posted-Date: Fri, 23 Sep 88 12:30 PDT

     IED was recently asked privately by a Love-Hound why he had not
included the lyrics of the song "My Lagan Love" in his edition of the
"complete" lyrics of Kate Bush.  The answer is simple: Kate Bush did
not write the lyrics of "My Lagan Love" -- her brother John Carder
Bush did.  For the same reason IED omitted from his list "The Handsome
Cabin Boy", the lyrics of which are traditional; and "Lord of the
Reedy River", which was written by Donovan.
     However, IED's worthy colleague had a point. Therefore, IED will
include the lyrics of these songs in an appendix to the Codex LyriKus
in future editions, appropriately identified.  This appendix may also
include the lyrics of various traditional songs which seem to have
influenced Kate's own work, including "The Twa Magicians", "Sovay,
Sovay" and "The Ballad of Lucy (Lizzie) Wan".

-- Andrew Marvick