Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Jarre in Docklands saga

From: mcvax!inf.rl.ac.uk!nbc@UUNET.UU.NET
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 88 18:19:11 bst
Subject: Jarre in Docklands saga

>From: mcvax!kklm01.ericsson.se!etxbrfa@UUNET.UU.NET (Bjoern Fahller)
>Subject: Re: URGENT: Jarre in UK
>>The London Jarre concert *has* been cancelled,
>What on earth is the reason to cancel such an event.  I was actually
>going to see this. Only the ticket from Stockholm to London costed a lot.
>When and where will the alternative concert be held ?

The concert was cancelled because local councillors in GB are a bunch of
mindless jerks who will be first against the wall when the revolution comes.
The word is that Council safety officers and the local fire brigade had
declared the event dangerous. Probably, Jarre was not willing to give a few
backhanders to the right people. If they were really worried abour access for
emergency vehicles they would have to ban traffic from the centre of London and
call off most major sporting events in GB.

My cynicism is fuelled by the fact that since the cancellation there has been
a large number of other cities bending over backwards to get the show put on in
their area, and now Newham  have decided to have second thoughts.

A new licence application was being lodged and Jarre was reported as being
confident that he would win approval to do a show in Docklands. The latest
plan (according to the press) is to stage two shows in Newham in early
October, and then another in the north, probably Glasgow.

Neil.