Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Do Doug and IED believe in duels?...

From: pef%ucbssl.ssl.Berkeley.EDU@JADE.BERKELEY.EDU (Peter Freeman)
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 88 14:50:27 pdt
Subject: Do Doug and IED believe in duels?...
Posted-Date: Mon, 5 Sep 88 14:50:27 pdt

First, a couple of short questions that just occured to me now...

1) Was is the aboriginal statement at the end of "The Dreaming?"  I
wonder if Kate put it there for sound, or because it actually meant
something?  It would be strange if it meant "We love Midnight Oil".

      [	It is a few lyrics from a Aboriginal song called "Aeroplane,
	Aeroplane", which is supposedly one of the very first
	Aboriginal songs about airplanes.  I haven't been able to find
	out what the lyrics actually are, however.  The information I
	just told you comes from a personal conversation with John
	Carder Bush.  -- |>oug ]

2) In "There Goes a Tenner", I believe I hear the question "What about
Edward King?" after "That leaves Cagney and me."  Am I hearing
correctly?  If so, is there a particular movie in mind (with Bogey and
George Raft), which includes this King?  And may I assume one of the
Bush Boys utters the question?

      [	The question is "What about Edward G.?", which is a reference
	to Edward G. Robinson, who was also an actor who was in a lot
	of gangster movies.  I don't believe the allusion is to any
	movie in specific -- just to the genre.  I don't know who
	utters the question.  -- |>oug ]

3) You know, I love looking at the news groups and seeing that there
are 25 gaffa articles to read, until I realize that 20 are composed of
IED and Doug bickering, or others trying to get them to bicker, or
others bickering among themselves, acting as proxies for the
aforementioned two.  Could we please set up some sort of "Gaffa
Compact" to make ground rules, since nobody can seem to agree in how
they can best disagree?  I'd like to propose rule 1-

<< 1 >>  What Kate says is dogma, unless she says it while sleeping.

	If Kate has said that Gaffa IS European duct tape, then it is
	that and that only.  If she leaves open the possibility that
	it could have multiple meanings, then please state your
	interpretation(s) or politely expose errors in others'.  Which
	leads to rule 2-

<< 2 >>  No name-calling, please.

	There are NONE of you that stand above anyone else.  Really.
	Some of you are just more fanatical than others.

Flame protection on...

It's time to move beyond Strangeways and duct tape.