Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: WHAT?

From: sri-unix!garth!hal@DECWRL.DEC.COM (Hal Broome)
Date: 25 Aug 88 18:55:56 GMT
Subject: Re: WHAT?
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>     [ *In The Company of Wolves* is a movie.  It's sort of a weird,
>	arty, and gory retelling of Little Red Riding Hood.  Danielle
>	Dax plays a small but prominent role as a wolf girl.  The
>	movie seems to be very popular among Kate Bush fans, because,
>	I guess, in spirit it shares a lot in common with Kate's
>	music.  -- |>oug ]

A great film with many levels to it.  I was fortunate enough to catch
its European premier at the Edinburgh film festival; beforehand, the
director gave a small talk about the film--which included the amusing
tale of how difficult it was to find trained wolves; when they finally
found the correct number, which had to be twelve for some reason (to
go along with the original book on which the movie was based, I
suppose), one of the wolves was eaten by the others!  The director
then paraded some of the cast members on stage, but Dax was not one of
them (I remember the main star as being very, very young looking and
had a captivating shyness to her).  Also not attending was my favorite
actress in the film, the star of MURDER, SHE WROTE; her portrayal of
the sexually-repressed Grandmother was superb.

hal

"That will teach a man to piss in a pot"--the
Grandmother, after a horrific werewolf story