Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

WYWM message, SIYL drums

From: jsd%UMASS.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU (Jonathan S. Drukman)
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 88 12:18:07 EDT
Subject: WYWM message, SIYL drums

>      Well, IED appreciates hearing that his powers of persuasion are
> in good working order. Unfortunately, he is no longer as confident
> in his "backwards-_backwards_" theory as he once was. After two
> years and ten months of painstaking, obsessive listening, IED has
> decided that he basically hasn't the slightest idea what Kate is
> saying in _Watching_You_Without_Me_.

You may not be convinced, Andrew, but you've certainly convinced me.
It fits, doesn't it?  Twelve words, beginning with the letter "D" (or
was it beginning with the word "Don't"?)...  And it fits with the
context of the song!  Anecdote: at the Katemas party, |>oug and I were
hotly debating the merits of TNW and this song rolled around, and I
told him what we think the message said.  He listened and jumped up
and shouted "You're right!  Goddamn you, you're right!" and reached
out to strangle me.  What a clown, that moderator-person!  I see no
reason to think that this tentative conclusion is not the CORRECT
conclusion - have you heard any better suggestions?

Regarding the SIYL drum track, the basic debate that Damian and I are
having is: are the huge pounding drum sounds we hear produced by a
real person really hitting huge drums with real sticks, or are they
sampled sounds being played via the Fairlight?  I'm fairly sure its
the former.  There may be vestigial traces of the Roland tinkle-bonk
in there somewhere, but those are not the focus of our interest.
Thanks for your comments, however.

Jon Drukman                      University of Massachusetts
BITNET: jsd@umass                ARPANET: jsd%umass.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
"I'm the king of rock and roll.  Completely."  -- Prefab Sprout