Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Interrupting my train of thought...

From: turner%mpgs.DEC@DECWRL.DEC.COM (Debbie Gibson: the Kate Bush of the 90's)
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 88 11:32:54 PDT
Subject: Interrupting my train of thought...
Posted-Date: Thu, 4 Aug 88 11:32:54 PDT

> Luckily for them, they know the difference between a great *song* and a
> great *single*, which you apparently do not.  You'd probably rather they
> have released `The Other Window' in 1979 instead of `Map Ref. 41 N 93 W',
> which is practically the most perfect Pop single ever.

Hey, I -love- that song.  When I got my four-track that song was the
first thing I recorded.  I must have spent days on it, doing
twenty-zillion different versions trying to find The Secret of That
Song's Success.

You are right, I was thinking of "song" as opposed to "single".

> If you think a lounge lizard song like `Madman's Honey' is
> "incredible" compared to `Ahead', or `Feed Me', or `Over Theirs',
> well ... call me when you get some taste ...

I never said ANYTHING about `Feed Me' or `Over Theirs'.  In fact, when
they played here recently (and I was front 'n center, natch) the
highlights of the show for me were `Ear Drum Buzz', `Drill', and `Over
Theirs'!

> No, YOU are nuts.  All MTV is a non-confused melange of imagery, but
> it's still senseless.  Just 'cuz you can't make sense of the imagery
> doesn't mean someone else can't;

Yeah, but when I asked Colin Newman what "Kidney Bingoes" was about,
he specifically stated that most of the band's lyrics mean nothing and
that they are put together to please the ear, not the mind.  I think I
remember these sentiments being echoed in an interview with the band.
I would [warning!]  a s s u m e [warning!] that the same holds true
for the band's videos.

Now, I'm not going to sit and whine about how EVERY song or video
should have an overt meaning, of course - I hate being hit over the
head as much as the next guy.

> ... plus, that's not the point - it's their use of video, the
> technology, that stands out - there isn't another video that even
> remotely resembles `Ahead' - and that's originality and creativity
> right there. Contrast this with the video for `Kidney Bingoes',
> which is far more conventional (as is the song).

Well, that still says maybe.  I found the imagery in `Ahead' to be
right up MTV's alley, something that any *mildly* competant video
director could come up with.

Too bad we don't know how much the band had to do with the video.  If
they were in it just to be in it, they are absolved from any
judgement, good or bad.  If it was their doing, *I* expected more.

> `The Finest Drops' was easily the most boring song live, and one of
> the most mundane Wire songs ever.  A song in search of airplay ...

Well, ok, it wasn't great live.  I liked the way he used the SK-1,
though!  On album it's a bit different.  I find it really catchy.  And
I could sit and play the drum part for hours, if my arms didn't get
tired after 30 minutes!  Which brings me to another observation: Why
are they using Gotobed like a drum machine?  Why does he NEED a drum
machine to keep time?  Is he an ex-druggie or something?  Maybe they
don't do the early stuff 'cuz he just can't play it anymore...?

> However, there's no way that `154' is as accessible as `A Bell is a
> Cup ...'

I didn't say it was.  I said that ABiaCUIiS is just as -complex-.

> You don't understand what I mean by `Keep It Simple, Stupid'... [etc]

OK OK.  I have been put in my place.

> ...  The main difference is that nowadays Lewis has developed into
> an extraordinary bass player, whereas Gilbert still sounds like good
> ol' Gilbert.

I found that Gilbert's guitar was WAY down in the mix, something which
annoyed me because I could never figure out who played what guitar
bits.  Yeah, Lewis (aside from looking like a demented ex-Nazi in a
State Trooper's uniform) was incredible live.  He loved bass feedback,
too, something which I had never heard live.  His last bit of throwing
the guitar in front of the amp as he left the stage was a little
tacky, tho.

> Our appreciations for them are fundamentally different.  You like
> Newman's work, and songs like `Madman's Honey' and `The Finest
> Drops'; therefore you lean towards their more `normal' accessible
> pop structures.  I like Lewis & Gilbert's works, and lean towards
> their more harsh and/or experimental side.  Never the twain shall
> meet, it appears ...

Now hold on, ah say, hold on a minute there, son!  I like -both-
Newman and G&L.  I like `The Finest Drops' but I also like all of
`Chairs Missing' without exception.  In fact, I find that I dislike a
greater percentage of songs on their new albums than I do on the old,
though I like the new ALBUMS better.  An analogy: the songs on "The
Dreaming" are better than the songs on "Hounds of Love", but I like
"Hounds of Love" better as an album.  Something to do with the whole
being greater than the sum of its parts, I guess.

Please point me to other G&L material, excepting their work on Matt
Johnson's "BURNING BLUE SOUL" lp which I do own.

/joe