Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

FREE CONCERTS

From: hocad!cjs@ULYSSES.ATT.COM
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 88 11:27 EDT
Subject: FREE CONCERTS

The New York City Parks Association along with Tropicana and other
sponsors has started their series of FREE concerts in Central Park.
Last weekend (over the fourth), I saw the HORSEFLIES and BRAVE COMBO.

This coming weekend, Pianosarus will be playing on Sat. at 3 pm.

If you're interested in the scheledue, drop me a line at the below
email address, and I'll send it to you.  OR if there's enough
interest, I'll post it in Love-Hounds.

******************

Short Review of HORSEFLIES and BRAVE COMBO

The HORSEFLIES is basically a blue grass band who hail from Ithaca,
NY.  They are a 6 piece band (synt, bass, guitar, fiddle, uke, and
drums) who have expanded on the blue grass sytle.  I heard rave
reviews about them before I went to the concert (both the EC Rocker
and believe it or not New York Magazine recommended seeing them).
Their album "Human Fly" (Rounder Records) has won several awards.

As far as my impressions of them in concert, it wasn't so great.  They
didn't diverge as far from the traditional blue grass style as I
expected.  They also didn't have much stage charisma.  I curious if
the album is better than their stage performance, but I don't expect
I'll go and buy it soon.

BRAVE COMBO is an unique four member band from Texas.  They played a
wide range of polkas, waltzes, sambas, etc. with a eighties twist.
The band is basically composed on bass, guitar, saxophone, and drums.
The lead guitar player laso plays the accordian and electronic piano.
The Saxophone player plays the clarinet and guitar.  The program that
was passed out to us siad that BRAVE COMBO played at David Byrne's
wedding....One things for sure, I would love to have them play at my
wedding!  These guys were having a blast on stage and their music is
alot of fun.  I would recommend them to anyone who likes polkas and
loves to dance.  And even to those who don't.  BRAVE COMBO is also on
Rounder Records.  They have an album "Polkasarus" out already and will
be releasing another one soon.

Carol Swanson
{ your favorite backbone}!ulysses!homxc!carols
or try homxc@carols

"Everything looks smashed and broken"