Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

This musta got lost in the mail awhile ago...

From: Piper/Lovecraft in '88 <8344141@WWU.EDU>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 88 06:42 PST
Subject: This musta got lost in the mail awhile ago...

    I broke down.  I bought the soundtrack to "Captive" yesterday.

    Most of the music is pleasant--clean, slow, ambient stuff--what my
former girlfiend might call "letter writing music."  Good job
capturing (pardon the obvious) the edge of U2.

    Regarding the theme song, for which I bought the album, "Herione"
as sung by Sinead O'Connor is absolutely breathtaking by the third or
fourth listening.  Nothing brilliant here, it simply sounds fantastic.
Sinead doesn't pack the power of her "Troy" or "Never Get Old" vocal,
but the song doesn't call for it.  Since this is the only one she
sings, I can't tell if she is now a stronger performer, or if she
meant to sing it with a vulnerable weakness.  It doesn't matter
though.  I'm happy with the song, and I wish it was available to more
of us than the audience an unknown soundtrack album usually collects.

    Also, beware, as the my copy was pressed on vinyl thin enough to
inflict papercuts.  I don't know if it's on CD, but I guess not, and I
can't afford another CD (I just bought "She's Halving a Baby" earlier
this month).

    More opinion time: Doug, you really ought to be kinder to IED.  He
keeps Love-Hounds informative and interesting (and arrogant, I know,
but so what?), and I'm forced to agree more with him than you after
reading your lover's quarrel about "Suspended in Gaffa."

Happy listening.

                                            LAters.
========
Paul M Carpentier