Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Moving Hearts

From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 88 11:56 PDT
Subject: Moving Hearts

     For the information of any Love-Hound who wanted to know more
about Moving Hearts, Ken Josenhans posted this explanation to IED, who
forwards it on to L-Hs.
     Many thanks, Ken.
 Date:         Thu, 09 Jun 88 18:33:53 EDT
 From:         Ken Josenhans <13020KRJ@MSU.BITNET>
 To:           IED0DXM

     Doing justice to the topic will require a little relistening to
my 4 Moving Hearts LPs, or at least hauling them into the office for
discographic information.  Very briefly: Moving Hearts were/are an
attempt to blend politically influenced rock with Irish traditional
music.  It's probably oversimplifying a bit, but the basic
instrumental line up was your basic rock band, with a sax player and
two uillean pipers added.  The first three albums (MOVING HEARTS, DARK
END OF THE STREET, LIVE HEARTS) all have highlights, but I also find
them boring in spots.  Christy Moore was the lead singer for the first
two LPs, I forget who sang lead on the LIVE album.  The fourth album,
the all-instrumental THE STORM, is my favorite; its centerpiece, "The
Lark", consists of about six traditional tunes which flow together for
about 12 minutes.
     I will try to write a little more in a few days.  If I don't,
feel free to forward this to Love-Hounds if you don't have better
information.
     I had forgotten the connection between Davy Spillane and Moving
Hearts.  Dumb, dumb.  Now I know to try to hunt down his new solo
album.  Thanks!

 -- Ken