Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

non-review of kate bush special on KFJC

From: mayer@polya.stanford.edu
Date: Fri, 20 May 88 01:38:04 PDT
Subject: non-review of kate bush special on KFJC

Kate bush listening must cause permanent brain damage because the
disease of "weenieistic devotion to KB" seems to have affected the
KFJC dj who did this show -- the guy just kept on interrupting the
music with his (or "our") explanations of what the fucking songs were
about. I find this a very annoying and pretencious habit of art-fag
wankers worldwide -- their explications predispose me to listen and
interpret a work of art in their "correct" way because they have
supposedly explained the artists intent in creating the work. So
although the music played on the show was quite interesting, the DJ
kept on distracting me between songs. (And besides, how the hell am I
supposed to concentrate on swearing about how worthless
circumscription is for AI while some wanker is trying to impress me
with his ability to recall the details of _Homeground_ articles.)

After proving himself to be a KB-weenie, the DJ then goes off and pokes fun
at anothers weenieism by playing a silly question asked by "some geek from
MIT" on a tape-recorded KB interview:

	Q: "What do you feed your cat?"
	KB: <polite blabbing about feeding it tuna in tins>

Is this MIT geek anybody we know?? It was a good question. I woulda
asked "what do you feed your pussy" though. Maybe next time.

	[ Hey, call me a "geek" again, and I'll let your face have a
	  talk with my Harley.  OK?  -- |>oug ]

When I appreciate art, then I want it to be art that I interpret
personally, and not an appreciation that comes by realizing that a
song was written because the artist forgot to brush her teeth and
later found 3 day old pieces of wienerschnizel between her third and
fourth molars, the third molar of course representing the trinity of
the xtian tradition, and the fourth molar obviously a symbol of the
cabbalistic-style numerology applied to the elements fire earth water
air (or is that phlegm, smegma, phlogiston and cum?). Oh yeah, almost
forgot, the pungent wienerschnizel is a semiotic deconstruction of
wilhelm reich's dead poodle "frenchy".  There, now you understand my
interpretation of blablabla. Capice?

If you want puzzles and interpretations, do this friggin
circumscription problem set for me.  If you want art, make it, make it
enjoyable in it's own right, and don't make it a problem that requires
an advanced degree to appreciate.  Good art is a gestalt, not a
problem to be solved.

Deadheads seem to have the same disability of attempting to explicate
the ambiguous lyrics of the grateful dead. one of the reasons why so
many people like the dead is because they can map their own situations
and attitudes onto the song and thereby think "Gee Whiz, this song's
about me".  I always get PO'd when someone foists upon me a christian
interpretation of a dead song that I may have liked; afterwards I may
come out disliking the song because I can't help but associate it with
something as vile as christianity.

On a lighter note, did any Bay Area listener get a "set list" of what was
played on this broadcast. Sometime between 9:30 and 10:30PM, the DJ played
a "B-Side" to a single. I didn't get the name of the song, but i really
wanna use the tasty sounding piano lines used in the song.

	-- Niels Mayer.