Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

MisK.

From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
Date: Mon, 30 May 88 11:38 PDT
Subject: MisK.

     Mike Pritchard, IED would like to hear what happened with the
Bravo show you mentioned. As he does not receive the Bravo station,
he'd like to know what he missed.

Meanwhile, let him say that he was greatly impressed by your tact in
not imposing upon the Bush family while in Welling. Must have been a
great challenge to your will power. Then you ask:

>     Finally got a copy of "Kate Bush Complete".  Who writes out
> the scores?  I recall Kate saying that she rarely writes out her
> songs, but plays it by ear.  So are these the product of someone
> listening to them over and over and over...?

Well, no, strictly speaking. As far as IED can tell, they are the
product of some nameless EMI drone listening to them once and only
once, with one one ear, while soaking up quarts of cheap ale and
watching that week's Watford match on the telly. Kate obviously has
nothing to do with any of the musical transcriptions of her
recordings. She can handle notation, and has written out some parts
herself for session musicians to read from, but it takes her a long
time and much trouble, so whenever possible, she avoids the process.
The guitar part for John Williams in "The Morning Fog" is an example
of a part that Kate wrote out note for note.

     Anyone out there care to give a rundown of Moving Hearts'
music?

-- Andrew Marvick