Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

miscellaneous short comments

From: jw@math.mit.edu
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 88 11:49:39 EDT
Subject: miscellaneous short comments

Tomi Moyer asks:

> 1) Who are the 'Love-Hounds'?

and should probably be informed that while some people (like him or
her) subscribe to this service over one net as rec.music.gaffa, the
rest of us use another net and know it as love-hounds.

When John T. Bryant says

> There are other imports but they have songs in french.

does he mean that these are original French songs by KT, or French
versions of the English songs we know? Either way, I am very
interested, and would appreciate details. I wish people would stop
thinking that if something isn't in English, it isn't interesting to
anyone, and that they can leave it at that. (This was a general
comment, not a personal attack on John.)

      [ Kate has two songs with French lyrics.  One is called "Ne
	T'Enfuis Pas", which translates into "Don't Fly Away".  The
	other is a French version of "The Infant Kiss" and it is
	called "Un Basier D'Enfant".  Both are available on the
	Canadian version of the "Kate Bush" mini-LP, an American
	compilation record.  -- |>oug ]

Thanks, |>oug, for the information about the KT symbol.

      [	You're welcome!  -- |>oug ]

> The symbol actually dates back centuries. It can be found in old
> churches throughout England. The original meaning is "Knights
> Templar"

Of course, I had noticed the symbol on the (a) cover of The Dreaming
and elsewhere, but I hadn't connected it with the Knights Templar, or
spotted it in any churches, either. Perhaps I am just unobservant! I
will look out for it in the future, however...

Deb Wentorf writes:

> Let me give you a brief background of myself. My name is Deb

and I would like to join others in welcoming her to the group. More
people should follow her lead and include personal comments about
themselves. It helps promote the sense of community.

Jeff Dalton debunks a comment that Scottish Echo

> are basically a Scottish hip-hop group made up of members of Echo
> and The Bunnymen

but fails to note that the term "hip-hop" may be unfamiliar to North
American readers (I have never heard it used on this side of the
Atlantic).  It is basically a British word for "rap".

The article given as "Kate's comments on the making of the Dreaming"
answers a lot of questions, but raises many others for me. The only
two that are nagging enough for me to seek answers to at present are:

1) What IS the five-word phrase at the end of Leave it Open?

      [	"We let the weirdness in."  -- |>oug ]

2) What is all this wierdness about "upset by the treatment of the
     kangaroos" and "he couldn't remember the kanga word for "Dang"
     so he worked on "Boing" with a "D"."?

      [	He probably didn't like the treatment of kangaroos because of
	screeeeeech, thud!, "band goes another kanga on the bonnet of
	the van".  Regarding Boing with a D -- probably only other
	kangaroos understand that....  -- |>oug ]

There seems to be a developing consensus that KBVI is due in
September.  That makes sense. Three years from Dreaming to HOL, three
more from HOL to KBVI. Suddenly, five months doesn't seem so long. I
don't suppose there will be a Doctor Who tie-in, although that was an
extremely amusing article, and well-written in the sense that it got
more and more outrageous as it went along. Unfortunately, it really
wasn't plausible even by the end of the first paragraph, but it was
fun nonetheless. Was it really from The Guardian?

                               Ciao
                               Julian