Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

April Fool (?) and There Goes a Tenner...

From: ganzer@trout.nosc.mil (Mark T. Ganzer)
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 88 21:54:21 PDT
Subject: April Fool (?) and There Goes a Tenner...

Subj: Roy Harper...

>     ....  He also sings backing vocals on Kate Bush's "Breathing".
>     Kate returned the favour by singing with Roy on "You (the Game
>     part 2)" on his "The Unknown Soldier" album.

Kate and Peter Gabriel also performed a Roy Harper song "Another Day"
on Kate's 1979 British TV special. They subsequently re-recorded this
song in the studio, but the project was dropped.

>     From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
>     Subject: There Goes a Tenner

>          She and the gang are "remembering" the _ten-shilling_note_.
>     The money is _no_longer_current_, which would make sense if
>     she'd had to serve years in prison before finally getting her
>     hands on her share of the swag. [...]  Though the gang are
>     arrested, in the end they are nevertheless shown tearing through
>     the streets with the money and laughing, as though they had
>     really pulled off the heist after all.
>
>          [  |>oug thinks that IED's interpretation of the seventh and
>              eighth verse are incorrect.  He thinks that it is
>              fairly clear that at the end of the song Kate is in
>              jail and that she is reminiscing about better days,
>              when she wasn't paying the price for her criminal acts,
>              but rather enjoying her ill-gotten gains.  -- |>oug ]

Th'Ganz... I mean, I (that third person is catching) am of the opinion
that nothing is clear about the ending. I think both could be correct.
Kate, in her infinite wisdom, made things here purposely ambiguous. I
just tend to like the touch of irony in IED's interpretation.  The
gang pulls the heist, stashes the loot ("the government will never
find the money"), then gets caught, goes to prison, gets out and goes
to recover the loot, only to find it is "old"money and is worthless
(how do you go about explaining trying to convert a large quantity of
old money?) and thus go about histerically destroying the money (there
goes a tenner...) as they are reminicing about the heist.

MarK T. Ganzer (aka "th'ganz")

P.S. to Dan: I've had that moniker for years....