Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Bootleg CDs

From: CSWEET%WPI.BITNET@husc6.harvard.edu
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 88 17:40:35 est
Subject: Bootleg CDs

        I purchased today what I believe to be a bootleg CD. It a live
concert of the Smiths. No dates are given, in fact no liner notes at all,
just song titles which are as follows:

        William It Was Really Nothing
        Nowhere Fast
        What She Said
        Hand In Glove
        How Soon Is Now?
        Stretch Out And Wait
        That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
        Shakespeare's Sister
        Meat Is Murder
        Miserable Lie
        Barbarism Begins At Home

        What leads me to believe this is a bootleg is that the record
label is TVO ID, not Sire (their American label) or Rough Trade (their
english one).  The sound quality is not crystal clear. It does sound
better than a bootleg album but it is quite obvious that it is not a
commercial live album. Also the song titles are filled with
mispellings and typos.
        One interesting thing is the packaging. The dies follows the
suit of the rest of the Smiths material, where they will put a still
from a movie on the cover. On the front of this disc is a picture of
James Dean standing on what looks like it may be a sand dune.
        One last note of importance that I forgot to put in the top of
this message is that the name of the disc is 'Better Live Than Dead'.
I am ABSOLUTELY CONVINCED that this is a bootleg but would like to get
confimation on it some way or the other. I would appreciate any info
on this and any other possible Bootleg CD's.

Chris Sweet
CSWEET@WPI.BITNET
(617) 792-9491