Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

This Woman's Work

From: William LeFebvre <phil@rice.edu>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 88 00:14:44 CST
Subject: This Woman's Work

suneast!agent99!hsu@Sun.COM (David Hsu - Sun ECD Software Consultant):

> For the first time since _Wuthering Heights_ Kate Bush has sung a
> song from anything OTHER than a position of strength.  Missing is
> the defiance that characterizes virtually all of Kate's more
> soulful, sorrowful songs; instead, _TWW_ contains pure,
> unadulterated longing.

Ummmmmmm.......what about "Infant Kiss"?  I experience a very strong
emotion when listening to that song: desperation.  But not strength.
She begs, she pleads to be delivered from that almost unthinkable
situation.  I don't see any defiance, just confusion, longing, and
desperation.

But I do think that TWW is much deeper than it first appears.  Very
effective, very moving, very powerful.  'Course I may just feel that
way 'cause I first heard it in context (that is, during the movie).

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>