Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

New Kate Bush album to be called "An Unearthly Child"

From: ugpoltr1@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Jim Poltrone)
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 88 17:10:22 EST
Subject: New Kate Bush album to be called "An Unearthly Child"

Got his piece of news from someone I know in Britain (no, not IED):

After three years since her album "Hounds of Love", famed British
performace artist Kate Bush has gone into studio to work on her most
recent album, tentatively titled "An Unearthly Child".  The album
is scheduled to be released on 23 November 1988, the date which
lots of people remember as the 25th anniversary of "Doctor Who".

For twenty-five years, the time lord has been flying through
our skies, and our TV sets.  Recently, the programme has not been
one of the BBC's most popular shows, and some people have been
leery that the programme would eventually be cancelled.

However, according to the show's producer, John Nathan-Turner, there
are plans for this season to be one of the best. "We're very confident
that this will be a banner year for the programme", said Nathan-Turner.
"In fact, to co-incide with the release of Kate's album, she is going to
have a guest role in one of the stories this season.  In fact, it's the
first appearance of a musical artist since the Beatles over twenty years
ago.  One of my production unit managers, Gary Downie, has been a fan
of Kate for some time now, and he's looking forward to working with her."

Kate herself is thrilled with being associated with the programme.  "I
remember seeing the very first Doctor Who, in November of '63.  In fact,
I used to hide behind the sofa a lot when the Daleks first appeared.
John always used to taunt me about that.  Since then, he's been following
the show more closely than I have been.  But it was Paddy's idea that
I appear on the show, after Bonnie [Langford] had her stint.  He said
'You can do better than that'.  So I talked to my agent about it, and
he rang up Mr. Nathan-Turner."

"It was after I landed the part that I thought of using Doctor Who as
the basis for my latest album.  I used to think of myself as Susan --
the first companion -- and what it would be like to travel through time
and space from a child's point of view.  Each of the songs are going to
be filled with a feeling of wonder and innocence."

BBC-1 controller Jonathan Powell, when asked about the programme's
future, said "This doesn't mean we're changing the direction of Doctor
Who into a song-and-dance variety show.  We still plan on keeping the
drama as the main feature.  I feel having Kate Bush on the programme
is a major coup for us, and given her popularity, it will mean a
higher share of the ratings for the programme."

 (From the _Guardian_, 1 April 1988)

 Christopher Webb
 Manchester Data Centre
 webb.mdc.waterman.com.uk
--
Jim Poltrone (The USENET Junkie)		      |  "Do you realise....
					              |   this world....
Internet: ugpoltr1@joey.cs.buffalo.edu		      |   is totally fugazi?!"
uucp:    [decvax,watmath,rocksanne]!sunybcs!ugpoltr1  |		-Marillion

      [	Dr. Who as the basis for a KB album???  Now, that's something
	I hadn't ever imagined!!!  Hmmm....  -- |>oug ]