Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Love-Hounds Digest

From: John M. Relph <Relph@BIONET-20.ARPA>
Date: Mon 28 Mar 88 10:05:19-PST
Subject: Re: Love-Hounds Digest

Neil B. M. Calton sez:

>This would be the White Horse carved on a hill at Uffington in
>Berkshire.

Thanks for the info.

David Hsu sez:

> Does anyone know exactly where the cover photograph for _The Joshua
> Tree_ was taken?

There was an interview with one of the band in some magazine where he
said that he really didn't know where it was taken.  Just another
joshua tree out there in the national monument area (high desert,
southern california, usa).

Julian (jw) sez:

> The white horse in question is etched into a hillside somewhere in
> Wiltshire, I think in the Vale of Pewsey.

Again, thanks for the info and the book reference, etc.

IED0DXM (Andrew Marvick) sez:

> Summation: Are you crazy, or deaf, or wut? "This Woman's Work" is
> incredibly fucking great, for chrissake!

While I know this mailing list is rec.music.gaffa (translation: daffy
Kate Bush worshippers), I have to disagree.  "TWW" is a fairly average
song from an artist who, in the past, has produced (not in the studio
sense) some really great music.  Considering the amount of time that
probably went into the song (i.e., less than a year) I would venture
to say that even Kate (oh no, blasphemy warning) might even agree with
me.  Another song she did quickly which is acceptable but not
fan-fucking-tastic.  And while I think XTC are awesome in their own
right, I think the XTC song is another example of an acceptable but
not fantastic song from artists who have produced better in the past.
Considering the fact that "Happy Families" was released on a fan club
"demo" tape, I would tend to think that the song just didn't have what
it took to get on an album.  (Check out the notes on the 12" "The
Meeting Place" single for more info.)

	-- John
----
John M. Relph