Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Apres moi, le deluge...

From: jsd%UMASS.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU (Jonathan S. Drukman)
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 88 10:51:10 EST
Subject: Apres moi, le deluge...

All right!  Enough already!  Kirsty MacColl is _not_ some bimbo and I
didn't mean to imply she was by including her name in a posting with
the subject of "she's having a bimbo" - geez, if you follow _that_
twisted logic, then I'm calling Kate a bimbo too!  (NO I AM NOT
CALLING KATE BUSH A BIMBO GODDAMM IT!  SHE IS STILL GOD AND AFTER
LISTENING TO "THE DREAMING" ON CD IN HEADPHONES AT FULL BLAST YET
AGAIN LAST NIGHT I AM UTTERLY CONVINCED THAT THERE IS NO FINER ALBUM
ON THIS PLANET.  OK?)

Someone mysteriously referred to as "sho@tybalt.caltech.edu" asks
about a new Chris and Cosey or Severed Heads LP.  I don't know about
_new_, but the most recent Chris and Cosey LP is "Exotika" and the
most recent Severed Heads LP is "Bad Mood Guy".  I have the latter and
it's quite fun, especially the tracks "Hot With Fleas" and "Jetlag".
As for the Justified Ancients Of Mumu, Peter Lee could tell you better
than I, but they are basically a Scottish hip-hop group (don't laugh
yet) and I think they are made up of members of Echo and The Bunnymen,
but I'm not sure.  Their music is very odd.  If you liked "pump up the
volume" it's sort of in that vein only much sillier.  They do a great
tune called "Hey Hey We're Not The Monkees" which is really the only
thing I can remember of the top of my head.

Stephen Nicholson's Oldfield comments: I like ALL his music too, but I
like some of it MUCH better than others.  As for the "unique elements
in each piece" - the only thing unique to songs like "Islands" and
"Magic Touch" is the mind numbing inanity of the lyrics and plodding
drum track.  Madonna, in her own nauseating way, is quite "unique".
Uniqueness is not all...

Julian West:
(and other Dolby fans)
   The major difference that I can see between the US "Golden Age Of
Wireless" LP and CD is that the LP has the 12" version of "She Blinded
Me WIth Science" and the CD has the 7" version.
   As for "The Flat Earth" - I have the domestic Capitol release of it
and it sounds just ducky to these jaded ears.  I'd give it a 8.5 or 9
out of 10.  It was normal domestic price (~ $13).  I too saw the "jap
import incredible sound" at BCD and it doesn't look like it's worth it
to me anyway.  Maybe if I had an extra million dollars lying around
I'd buy it...

Lazlo Nibble:
   I tried to post you a letter concerning Oldfieldness privately but
mailer barfed.  Please write to me so I can get a return path!

ANYONE:
   Is there really a new Thomas Dolby LP out?  I MUST KNOW EVERYTHING!
This is like manna from heaven to a blissed out TD fan such as myself!
Tell me more, somebody, please!!!!!

William LeFebvre:
   The Dr. Calculus track is OK.  Doesn't really blow me out of the
water.  Apparently it's an old Dr. Calculus single with a re-recorded
vocal track (new lyrics).  It's passable, but the track preceding it
by Carmel is really bad, so I usually don't get past the Kate tune.

I'm going on spring break today.  Bet you're all thrilled to know that
you won't have to hear from me for a while.  Remember: Kate is God.
The Dreaming is the greatest album ever.  [ Ahmen!  -- |>oug ]

Jon Drukman                        BITNET: jsd@umass
209-C2 McNamara                   ARPANET: jsd%umass.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
University Of Massachusetts           (or) jsd%umass.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
Amherst, MA  01003                  PHONE: 413-546-4262
"Is all that we or see or seem but a dream within a dream?" - e.a.poe