Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

More Mike Moldfield

From: jsd%UMASS.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU (Jonathan S. Drukman)
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 88 10:10:46 EST
Subject: More Mike Moldfield

Mark Mallett is my kind o' guy.  He writes:

>> Of course Kev's voice may well be shot as this point, what a shame.
>> For a REAL treat hunt down Oldfield's 1984 single "Shadow On The
>> Wall", with the great Roger Chapman on vocals.

> A real treat, if you think pity is a treat.  Much like the latest
> album, "Discovery" was full of boring, simple, pop-oriented songs;
> songs as opposed to music, which is what Oldfield used to do and
> what I wish he would still do.  "Shadow on the Wall" is a perfect
> example.

We are in total agreement here.  One small point though - "Shadow on
the Wall" was on "Crises", not "Discovery".  "Crises" is a pretty good
album - the instrumental really rocks, and some of the pop songs are
tolerable.  Actually, "Moonlight Shadow" is probably one of his best
pop songs!  Too bad everything afterwards sounds identical to it.

Recommendation of the week: TIRED EYES, SLOWLY BURNING by The Tear
Garden.  This band, composed of cEVIN Key of Skinny Puppy and Edward
Ka-Spel of the Legendary Pink Dots, does the most quietly disturbing
music I've heard in a while.  If you're feeling cheap, buy the
original Tear Garden EP (with a startling cover painted by Nettwerk
resident artist Steven R. Gilmore) or if you're really into it, buy
the CD which contains both the first EP and the new LP in their
entirety.  By the way, most CDs put out by Nettwerk Records have extra
stuff on them - the first Skinny Puppy disc has both Remission and
Bites.  The Severed Heads disc has "Come Visit The Big Bigot" plus
"Dead Eyes Opened".  I think all companies should do this!  Makes you
feel like your money was well spent.

Jon Drukman                        BITNET: jsd@umass
209-C2 McNamara                   ARPANET: jsd%umass.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
University Of Massachusetts           (or) jsd%umass.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
Amherst, MA  01003                  PHONE: 413-546-4262
BE HAPPY OR DIE