Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

yes i thought so exclamation point - don marquis

From: Dave Hsu <hsu@eneevax.umd.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 88 02:11:55 EST
Subject: yes i thought so exclamation point - don marquis
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

> From: IED0DXM@OAC.UCLA.EDU

My my, a new site...and with a proper domained name!  Progress never
ceases...

>Now, about the following from |>oug:

>> Now, on to a random question for KT fans.  Has anyone else noticed
>> that the costumes worn in "The Dreaming" video are "still suits"
>> from *Dune*?

>     IED is relatively certain that you are under a misapprehension
> ... Furthermore, of course, _Dune_ was, as you noted, not yet a
> figment in Di Laurentiis's or Lynch's mind in 1982, and it seems
> very unlikely to IED that the costume designer of _Dune_ took
> his/her ideas from Kate's video.

Actually, while _Dune_ was not much of anything in Lynch's mind in
1982 (the misguided soul not having read the book until after doing
the movie) it was most certainly on Di Laurentiis' mind, having
purchased the rights some years prior from the previous (non-)movie
producer.  Nevertheless, while I don't remember much about said video
(having seen it only once, during the last KaTemas bash) I'm fairly
certain the costumes in question were not stillsuits.

And, of course, a thank you to IED for your kind proto-invitation; I
must confess that recent matters have made any trips away from Boston
unlikely for the next two months, but sooner or later I'll make it out
to the Left Coast.

>      [ According to IED, *She's Having a Baby* is a different movie
>        from *For Keeps*, which stars Molly Ringworm.  Molly isn't in
>	*She's Having a Baby*.  -- |>oug ]

Ah, time for a little correlation here.

	Molly Ringworld (engineers)	->	_For Keeps_
						a non-John Hughes film for
						odious highschoolers

	Elizabeth McGovern (for Prez)	->	_She's Having a Baby_
						a John Hughes film for
						numerous post-collegiate
						yuppies

BTW, that wouldn't be Kate doing that wordless, voiced bit over the
last 20 seconds or so of the long promo for _SHaB_ would it?  I only
heard it once, under less than optimal conditions.

	[ Sounds like it could be!  -- |>oug ]

Thank you, David Hardy, for the warning about the WHRB KB Orgy, which
enabled me to catch the last 2 1/2 hourof it.  My guilt over not
having the B-sides (or, for that matter, anything to play them on)
just multiplied by two orders of magnitude.  Maybe three.  I'll get
you for this someday.

> From: Nancy Everson <everson@SPCA.BBN.COM>

> I've gotten bored with just listening to music, and want to start
> making my own (and I don't want to drag my high school oboe out of
> the closet).  Since I used to play piano (and really miss it a lot),
> I've decided I want to buy a keyboard of some sort, probably a
> synthesizer.

Grrr...y'know, there just ain't any substitute for a good piano.  For
less than the cost of a nice car, you won't readily find enough keys,
a piano (double-escapement) action, usable pedals, or a host of other
things.  No synth that I know of provides any feedback through the
keys, and by the time you've put together the other pieces, you could
have bought a 6' Bechstein.  I know that, you know that, but that's
not what you wanted to hear.  Actually, I guess it's not an entirely
true statement either; I'd wouldn't turn down the donation of a
Kurzweil and one of those MIDI'd Bosendorfer actions.  But I digress.

My limited experience with (other people's) synths suggests that you
grab some brochures, and go experiment at your local Yamaha dealer.
Yes, the Casio line is priced a bit less, but I don't care for the way
Casio keys feel, and the patches sound less pleasant to my ears.

Hey Rossi...what's your advice?  And would somebody remind me which
was velocity- and which was pressure-sensitive?

-dave

--
David Hsu	vv Yow! A temporary address!	devoted aKolyTe
UUCP: suneast!hsu@sun.com			ARPA: hsu@eneevax.umd.edu