Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate and Madonna

From: "V70NL::ROSSI" <rossi%v70nl.decnet@nusc.arpa>
Date: 11 Dec 87 11:56:00 EDT
Subject: Kate and Madonna

Things are strange.  While reading Jon Drukman's posting today, I
remembered what I think was my first posting to Love Hounds concerning
my wife's view of the similarities of Madonna and Kate, and in some of
the vocal inflections.  That observation brought on an untold ammount
of flame.  Over the couple of years that have passed since then, I am
forced to agree that there are few similarities between Madonna and
Kate.  However, in that 2 or so years I have to admit that I am
becomming more and more impressed with Madonna.

My wife bought 'True Blue' and I had to admit that I like the sound of
much of it.  Granted, it is pop at its comercial extreme, but it makes
for easy listening.  The pervasive latin rhythms which highlight much
of Madonna's recent work are quite tastefully done.  Sure she is
sexploitative, and sure she makes a lot of money selling her music.  I
don't agree, however, that all of her success is due to her personal
salesfeatures.  Madonna is quite a good musician and deserves what she
is paid as much as anybody.  Remember, I don't buy the "The only good
music is non-commercial shit that many of you spoiled childern of
Yuppie parents are pushing

John