Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Rolling Stone Top 100 Albums of the Last Twenty Years

From: voder!apple!bc@DECWRL.DEC.COM (bill coderre)
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 87 20:40:29 EDT
Subject: Rolling Stone Top 100 Albums of the Last Twenty Years

Back when Rolling Stone had critics good enough to pull something
like this off, they had the good sense not to.

Overall, I was slightly less upset with the list than I thought I
would be, since they did mention some of my faves: Captain Beefheart,
The Modern Lovers, and my super-secret fave, the soundtrack to "The
Harder They Come" (one of the best reggae compilations that doesn't
have Bob Marley on it).

Guess what was Number 1. Just think: recent rerelease. "Sgt. Pepper"?
Right you are! Can you say "trendy", boys and girls? Sher yew ken.

I was sort of upset that over 5 Brooooooooooooce records made the
list, and that some of the reviews sound more like apologies for the
choices than paeans to their greatness.

No, there is NO Kate Bush on it. (Years might be a bias; although they
claim their survey runs from 1967-87, there are damn few records newer
than '75 in the list.)

And NO Genesis, NO Peter G-, NO Jethro Tull. Closest you get is "Dark
Side of the Moon" and "Piper at the Gates of Dawn". (There is the
slight chance I missed them.) Not even any King Crimson, which should
get bonus points for starting the whole trend.

Anyway, I'm about 1/3 of the way done typing in the list, which I will
post today.

Quick BONUS question for 5 BIG points:

	From where is the bass riff on "Astral Plane" (from The Modern
	Lovers) ripped?

See you in the track-out groove..................................bc