Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

XTC

From: sun!adlaia%witold@SEISMO.CSS.GOV (Adlai Alexander)
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 87 05:08:27 EDT
Subject: XTC

I am pretty much a music snob when in comes to rock.  I love good
jazz, classical music and basically any type of music that is not yet
hackneyed and will survive the tests of time.  Thus - and I am certain
most of you in this group will agree - 99.999% of the top 30 or 40 or
100 or whatever is pure trash as far as I can tell.

But I LOVE XTC!!!  I probably by between 50 and 100 albums a year and
MAYBE five of them are "Rock" albums.  But I buy every XTC album.  I
did however buy Hounds of Love (my only KB purchase) and the used
record store I took it to gave me $5.00 bucks for it!!!

Anyway, I think that English Settlement is their "Sgt. Pepper's" as
others have indicated.  I do think, however, that their recordings
before Drums and Wires are pretty bad.  What great songs, great vocals
and a REALLY great drummer.

Adlai