Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: They Might Be Giants

From: sevp@PWCS.STPAUL.GOV (Sev Pearman)
Date: 23 Jul 87 15:33:33 GMT
Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

> From: wanginst!munsell!pac (Paul Czarnecki)

> The write wonderful lyrics about wonderful topics.  The melodies are
> usually pretty good, but at times you can tell they were just lazy
> because about a third of the melodies are close to identical.  They
> aren't note for note identical, but rather just very similar to each
> other, falling chromatic scales are very prominent.  There is a heavy
> amount of lyrical repetition, but I guess that is ok.

I'd like to add the following:  They played in the Entry while Rank
and File (Stank & Vile) bored the masses in 1st Ave.  I got bored
after the opening "Amanda Ruth," and went next door.  What I saw was
legitimatly delightful.  Two guys being silly and {horrors! gasp!}
they were actually having fun and wore NO BLACK CLOTHING!!!  They sang
stuff that recalled those bad late 50's-early 60's science movies you
watched/slept through in Jr. High (or middle school for you
Easterneres.)

        "The sun is a mass
         of incandescent gas -
         A great big nuc-le-ar fur-nace.

         Where hy-dro-gen  mixes to form he-li-um,
         at temp'-a-tures of millions of de-grees!"

For a refreshing change of pace, see these two guys and pick up there
self-titled album (on Homestead?)  The cover work is a gas!

s e v

Anyone know if That Petrol... are going to tour?  Dates?