Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Saturday night at the movies

From: Neil Calton <nbc@VAX-D.RUTHERFORD.AC.UK>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 87 11:32:45 bst
Subject: Saturday night at the movies

> From: ma188saa%sdcc3@SDCSVAX.UCSD.EDU (Steve Bloch)

> For anyone who's really interested, there's a movie "Mysteries of
> the Organism" about Reich's beliefs, "research", and persecution by
> both the New England town he moved to after WWII and the scientific
> establishment, venturing so far as mass book-burnings and the like.
> The movie would probably be rated X if they bothered, because it
> includes considerable explicit footage of Reichian research.  Sorry,
> I don't know what film company has it.

The film "WR: Mysteries of the Organism" was made in 1971 by the
Yuoslavian director Dusan Makavejev (b. 1932). He made his first
feature in 1965 and is known as an inventive and unconformist director
whose pictures have been characterised by their frank sexuality and
oblique view of the Communist political and social life.

Sight and Sound (Winter 1971/72) coments: "Makavejev's extraordinary
collage of sex and revolution, part based on, part applying the
iconoclastic theories of Wilhelm Reich. By turns erotic and bitingly
funny as it slaughters yesterday's sacred cows and sounds the alarms
for tomorrow's brave new world."  Stars Milena Dravic, Jagoda Kaloper.
Is/was distributed by Academy/Connoisseur.

The film was a regular of late night shows at the art houses in Oxford
and fiercely divided audiences who either loved it or hated it.
Something of a cult film guaranteed to generate discussion. If I get
time I will write a longer synopsis.

> From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu

> Neil, come on -- Lennon's songs have been covered by more artists
> than practically anyone else on earth (except maybe McCartney).
> Elton John's have been terribly under-covered and underrated for
> many

While I am happy to be unmounted from my high horse, I'd better
clarify my position. Granted Lennon has been widely recorded, as have
many great artists.  No doubt there are many versions of songs like
Your Song and Candle in the Wind also. My comments, which were
generated more by surprise than indignation, were directed at the
pronouncement of a special tribute album. Now you might say that the
fact that people like Lennon have had their songs covered by a
multitude of artists is a tribute in itself. I still find it
surprising that Elton John and Bernie Taupin apparently rate so highly
in the world of rock/pop as to receive the accolade of a special
album. Please do not misunderstand me; I quite like a lot of Elton's
material (I even own Yellow Brick Road) and one of his concerts
remains one of the most enjoyable I have ever attended. I do not wish
to deny him his due, but cannot help but feel that others (Bowie,
Jagger, Bolan, Ferry) rank at least as highly in the list of rock
greats.

If it should transpire that a group of artists got together and
decided that they would like to pay their respects/thanks to a
excellent artist and very likeable individual (which Elton surely is)
then I would be suitably humbled.  However, I just have this sneaky
feeling some marketing executive felt it would be a good idea. Having
said all that, it is highly likely that I shall buy the album and it
will probably turn out to be execellent and I shall feel a fool for
having cast aspersions in the first place.  Anyway, no offense to EJ
and BT fans was intended.

>From: Jeff Dalton <jeff%aiva.edinburgh.ac.uk@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>

>> Can someone tell me who Caspar Hauser is/was?

> There's a film by Hertzog (I know I can't spell) that tells most of
> the story. (Detailed description of the story deleted).

German director Werner Herzog (b. 1942) made "The Mystery of Kasper
Hauser" in 1974. Herzog's highly original and imaginative films earned
him a leading position among the film-makers of the new German cinema
of the 70's. He produces and writes all his own film which include
Aguirre the Wrath of God (1973), Stroszek (1977), Nosferatu (1979) and
Fitzcarraldo (198?).

The leading role in Kasper Hauser is played by the engimatic Bruno S.
who was not a professional actor. "The film is a double fable -
intermingling the deadening effects of bourgeois society and the
cruelty of the universe" (Pauline Kael).

Be seeing you.