Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

A Defense from the Ashes

From: Rob Aitken <aitken%noah.arc.cdn%ubc.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Date: 3 Jun 87 0:19 -0800
Subject: A Defense from the Ashes

Although my previous posting was not intended to be taken particularly
seriously, it seems to have attracted a certain amount of attention. Since
it has been described as both "ridiculous" (|>oug) and "asinine" (IED), I
thought I had better attempt to clarify its intent. First of all, I apologize
if I offended anyone. My posting was designed as a mild reminder that we all
have varying tastes, not as a denigration of KT.

At any rate, the flak has been centered around the phrase "thinly disguised
pop". IED's objection was that the term "pop" is vaguely defined, and indeed
it is. The interpretation I intended was the mechanical, lifeless, nonsense
that is released for the sole purpose of making money -- music described by
Woody Guthrie as "music to die to". Clearly, KT's songs are not in this
category, witness the existence of this newsgroup. Nonetheless, to *me*, some
of them *sound* like they belong there. This is why I, admittedly flippantly,
characterized them as "thinly disguised". Once again, this is entirely a
matter of personal taste, and not any statement about a priori inferiority.

|>oug states that the "Pop" sound is intentional. I have no reason to dispute
him. However, I listen to music primarily for entertainment -- because I like
it. If I do not find a given song entertaining I do not listen to it,
regardless of any other redeeming attributes it may possess. Perhaps IED
would find this practice "idiotic", but I believe not.

I do not dislike all KT's music, and indeed I enjoy several songs, but in
general I am indifferent to it. It is not any particular "style" of Kate's
that I do not enjoy, as my musical tastes are relatively catholic (I am
being deliberately vague, so as not to provoke one of the "my music is better
than your music" discussions so prevalent on rec.music.misc). The fact remains,
though, that I am not a KT fan. Perhaps her next album will win me over, or
perhaps it won't. I don't believe that this position is "ridiculous", "asinine",
or "idiotic", nor is it inherently inferior or superior to any other. It is
my own opinion, and that's all.

Rob Aitken