Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Skinny Kate Puppies

From: drukman%UMASS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu (Jonathan S. Drukman)
Date: Tue, 26 May 87 13:20:55 EDT
Subject: Skinny Kate Puppies

Oh, Joe Turner got it all wrong - the Skinny Puppy frontman is named
Nikven Ogre, *NOT* cEVIN key -- cEVIN is the guy who bangs on the oil cans,
plays guitar and looks like a reject from any heavy metal band.

> Come on, Jon, give her a break. That was 8 years ago. She was only 21.
> Actually, it was this show that got me hooked on Kate. It was unlike
> anything I had seen before and I could see that she was a f*ckin' brilliant
> artist. Unfortunately, the more I watch this tape (and I have watched it
> plenty) the more I see how Keith McMillan (Keef) butchered the video with
> all his close-ups and double images. Also, remember that this is pre-Fairlight
> Kate, and this is really the first opportunity for her to have complete
> creative control over her work. So you have to look at it as a stepping stone
> on the way to "The Dreaming". It was a damn ambitious undertaking for that
> point in her career (preparations for the tour ran app. 200,000 pounds).
> Sure the dancers in the string bass costumes
> seems silly, but how else are you going to portray that song?
>
> BTW, Andy, wasn't it Paddy who designed and made the string bass costumes?

All right, all right.  I obviously didn't make my first posting clear
enough.  I *liked* the show but thought a lot of it was silly.  There's nothing
wrong with that!  I agree that the bits with her sitting at the piano are
beautiful performances and damn touching.  But it's hard for me to sit there
and watch "Strange Phenomena" with those guys in those silly alien
costumes waltzing around (in a very amateurish manner, I might add) without
groaning slightly.  Anyway this has all been discussed to death, as IEd
pointed out, in the holy sKripTures, aka the Love-Hounds archives.
I just wanted to throw in my opinion while the tape was fresh in my mind.
Also, was it my imagination or did the stage look tiny?  I always had the
impression that the Hammersmith Odeon was a fairly large place...

Yours In Kate,
Jon Drukman

"DEATH! DEATH! DEATH!"
  -- Skinny Puppy