Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Suuzzzzaaaannnneeee....

From: ma188saa%sdcc3@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (Steve Bloch)
Date: Thu, 21 May 87 23:28:32 EDT
Subject: Re: Suuzzzzaaaannnneeee....

>> Also recently someone (I forget who?) mentioned something of
>> Suzanne Vega.  Just a question: Who is she and why should I (if I
>> should) I explore her music?  Please fill me in.  Thanks in
>> Advance.

> Would you believe Leonard Cohen for the Pretty In Pink set?  I
> though not...  And yes, I guess Suzanne is supposed to be sad
> and is "supposed" to be our 80's superwoman answer to Joan Baez (but
> with the aloof market- ibility that any apolitical goof has) who is
> praised to all heights mainly because the folky hardly want anything
> to do with her as they recognize commercial gloss when they hear it.

I think that's a BIT harsh.  True, Suzanne is usually apolitical
(unless you count "The Queen and the Soldier"), but I'm not aware that
that's a crime.  Even Kate has been known to do that.  Anyway, it's
good stuff to listen to.  She's also written the lyrics for two of the
songs on Philip Glass's _Songs from Liquid Days_ , which puts her in
the excellent company of Paul Simon, David Byrne, and Laurie
Anderson).

If you want something similar, but a little more political and a
little more humorous, my current obsession is Jane Siberry, who writes
fascinating, carefully-crafted lyrics and sets them to equally
fascinating, carefully-crafted music.  (I'd compare her with Kate if I
dared on this board.)  As usual, the second album is not quite up to
the first, but I like both (is there more?)

"He's not sure just who you are, but you might be a good
connection."