Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Wanna end all this backward controversy?

From: bc@mit-amt.media.mit.edu (bill coderre)
Date: 17 May 87 01:34:06 GMT
Subject: Wanna end all this backward controversy?

Hey Moderatorio:

If you wanna drop by the Media Lab and borrow an AKAI S900 digital
sampler, we can "unmask" the various reversed Kate-things in a matter
of seconds. Yeah, I guess it would be easy to make a tape, too. Plenty
of those around.

The sound quality will be a lot better than some reversal cassette
hack. Sampling time is 11 seconds at highest bandwidth (20KHz
sampled), and goes down in relation to length.

If that isn't long enough, then we could always record the whole
goddam album onto 1" video tape, which plays forwards and backwards at
any speed at all. Pretty good sound too.

You may wonder why I offer if I couldn't care less about Kate Bush.
Maybe just as a hack, maybe just to get this discussion over with...

BTW, I think I posted that I figured out the backward stuff in Laurie
Anderson's "Example #23". They say "It was written in red magic marker
and it said it was written in red magic marker and it said...."
(repeated quite a few times)

Oh well, back to work. See you around.....................bc

[Maybe I'll take you  up on that offer sometime soon.  Actually, I
already have most of "The Ninth Wave" backwards on cassette.  I used
someone's reel-to-reel to make the cassette.  -- |>oug]