Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

misK.

From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Date: Wed, 06 May 87 13:22 PDT
Subject: misK.

To those who are interested: there is still the possibility of a
comprehensive Kate video anthology. It will take a lot of work,
but it may actually evolve some day...

First, to Mark. IED greatly appreciates the trouble you
took with the e-mail file, but it was totally above his
level of comprehension, and he's afraid that barring a
miracle he will not be able to send to you privately.

About your latest comments re BKtmM, Mark, we have nearly reached
instantaneous echo. Most of your explanation of the X4/BKtmM
connection is clear and accurate, as IED sees it.
Thanks for the lyrics. "I can think of nothing better" makes sense --
why did this elude IED before?? He doesn't
hear "lowered eyes," but then again, he
doesn't know what he hears instead, either.

>The comparison I was making with "The Big Sky" was soley on the energy
>level of the underlying instrumentals, with the strong bass and guitar
>parts and the incescent two_four-and rhythm going on. The restrained tone
>of the song is in the vocal passages, where the energy that the song opened
>with is restrained to match the tone of the lyrics.

No disagreement. It's interesting the way you use the word "energy,"
though -- very Kateian.

>My comparison of structure was much more general: 140 beats/min in 4/4 time
>with most of the song written around 4 (or multiples of) bar passages,
>coupled with the repeating single bar guitar phrases (loops was the
>wrong term) and the rhythm emphasis on the second and forth beats (the
>deleted forth beat every other bar provides a much more restrained tone to
>X4).

This is the one thing IED that doesn't quite agree with. To him, the
deleted fourth beat is a very active, even agressive kind of "silence."
The suppression of that expected sound is very disiquilibrating:
although technically speaking, the sound is diminished by its absence,
it doesn't restrain the overall sound in terms of emotional impact -- at
least not to this listener.

Speaking of sonar, IED spoke too quickly when he
said that the music in "The Cruel Sea" is unrelated
to The Ninth Wave. The real "musical" theme of
the movie is the almost constant sound of the sonar,
and almost without a doubt Kate put sonar into The Ninth
Wave as a reference to this movie more than to anything
else.

>I would venture a guess that this is a Fairlight sample of Kate's voice.
>This would have the same sound as a tape loop of her voice. Could this
>also be how she did the backing vocals in "The Handsome Cabin Boy"? It
>seems like it would be much easier to do this way...

Both do sound extremely Fairlight-ish. Kate has said in interviews
that she likes to just "leave it on" while recording: the drone
in "The Handsome Cabin Boy" sounds like the result of such a session.

>From: KNIGHT@MAINE (Michael Knight)
>I'm planning a trip up to the official Organnon sometime this summer.
>It's located somewhere up near Rangley ME, which is about an hour away
>from here. I'm told that the museum is still open during the summers.
>Plan to take lots of pictures and perhaps write up a story of the
>adventure and send it off to the KBC, Homeground, etc, along with
>pictures. Of course I'll post the story to this digest too.

This sounds like a great idea, Michael. The KBC might use some of it,
but more likely Homeground. Kate has always been careful to
steer clear of any references to Wilhelm Reich which might
seem to "approve" or disapprove of his work. But if, for instance,
you find anything up there that directly corresponds with the video,
you'll have a dynamite piece of Newsletter material.
By the way, don't take offense, but it's "Orgonon" (not "Organnon",
or even Kate's "Organon"), named after Reich's "discovery" of the
blueish-colored life energy force called "orgone".

About splitting up the tape list: It just doesn't seem likely that the
list will get much more carefully organized than it already is. If the
unlucky party who gets the tape already full is decent enough
to add a new one (or if perhaps the person to fill up the first one
sends a new one along when he/she forwards it), then there shouldn't
be any problem.

-- Andrew