Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate-echism VIII.4.xxx

From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 87 17:20 PDT
Subject: Kate-echism VIII.4.xxx

KTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTK
TK                                                                     TK
KT  Friday, May 22 is the tentative date of the West Coast L-Hs party. KT
TK  If you desperately want to come but can't make it that evening,    TK
KT  you have three days in which to lodge a complaint. After that      KT
TK  the date will be definite, for better or worse.                    TK
KT                                                                     KT
TKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKT

>Other LA wize... found the CHEAPEST record store I've ever been in.  Most
>everything was either 47-cents, 94-cents or $1.88 (it all makes the tax work
>out to even dollar amounts).  Tons and tons of really great novelty and
>schlock.  It's called Record Surplus, on Pico in West LA.  A Rons records
>on Melrose has gone way downhill since I first visited there about 10 years
>ago.  Melrose itself is a great place to watch trendily dressed people walk
>around.  Rhino Records (the store) on Westwood Blvd.  turns out to be a
>slightly above average used record store...

Record Surplus used to be Rhino Records' warehouse. That's how
they got all the novelty junk. Now they're independent.
In IED's experience there, too much of their stock has been
priced cheap because it was totally uninteresting cut-out
and promo stock. He's glad to hear that you found stuff worth
picking up there, however. Aron's Records has gone downhill only
in some respects. Their imports section has deteriorated, but
so has that of every U.S. imports store other than those (such
as Bleecker Bob's) which have branches in England. Nevertheless,
Aron's still brings most things in. They are doing better than
most of the competition at getting the latest import CDs and
Soundtracks in. (IED got the Castaway LP from them ten days ago,
and so far no place else in town has got one in.) So they're
not a total loss. In the late sixties and early seventies they
were an unbelievable source for inexpensive used records of
great rarity, especially for classical collectors.

If you had made your visit only six months earlier, you'd
have been in time to catch Rene's All Ears while they still
imported on a grand scale at amazingly low prices. Now, however,
their new policy has turned them into a t-shirt and skate-board
shop, utterly without interest to record-seekers. This is the
most serious casualty in the L.A. record community in years.

Rhino Records is more than just an average used record store.
They have a huge stock, only part of which is on view to
casual visitors. Otis and Sam are funds of knowledge, but
hard to gain the trust of. If you do, you'll get some superior
treatment and long-sought-after rare records you thought you'd
never get hold of. Also, they offer the highest prices for
your used records, and their imports still dribble in, despite
considerable pressure on them to stop. They also get special
credit for stocking the latest issues of Homeground
and Under The Ivy. The only really annoying thing about the
place is the consistently AWFUL music their employees play
on the store stereo system. Ever since IED first started going
there more than eight years ago, they have bombarded customers
with the most offensively bad music available.
If you make it back to L.A., you should also check in on Joseph
and Henry at Vinyl Fetish.

>I also found a couple of good comic stores: Golden Apple, with three
>locations--the one on Pico being best, the one on Melrose second, and the
>Valley location dead last, Hi De Ho in Santa Monica (snotty employees),
>Graphitti in Westwood, and another one in the Valley (on Devonshire?) that I
>can't remember name of.

Hi De Ho's employees have always been helpful and friendly with
this customer.

>Lots of good (burp!) food, including the original Tommy's on Beverly, Ship's
>in La Cienega (no match for the Ship's that used to be in Westwood), Canter's
>in Fairfax, and a good neo-50's diner called Edies.  The atmosphere at Edie's
>is Chaos Among the Museum pieces.  Good 50s/60s juke box, and chicken fried
>steak that will keep your arteries clogged for a year.

The Ships in Culver City is extremely similar both in atmosphere
and cuisine to the sadly mourned Westwood branch.

>IED, Andrew, whoever you are.  I want to come to your Kate laser disc
>video thingy, but I must find transport from San Jose.
>I could probably buy a plane ticket and fly down there, but I'm not
>sure what my next paycheck is going to be doing.

If you're in San Jose, maybe you and Phil Stephens could car-pool
down together or something. IED would love to have you both at the
happy party, but he's not sure he could guarantee a time great enough
to justify an airplane ticket. Make it on time, though, and he
can guarantee as much Kate video as you'll ever want to sit through
in one spell, plus refreshments.

You're on the list, see below. Sorry about the omissions, now
being re-instated as information is received.

G. T. Samson's idea about splitting the tape sounds sensible to IED.
Say break it off at around number 18? IED doesn't know what he can
do about it, except to say: Go to it, folks! And please keep him
informed, for the list's sake.

The Love-Hounds KompilaTion Tape is the anything-goes tape,
to which each listed contributor is invited to add up to twelve
minutes of music of his/her choice. Admittedly the name is
misleading, since the tape probably won't have any Kate Bush
on it, but IED felt she should at least be recognized with her
monogram. The obsKuriTies tape referred to recently is something
else entirely.

-- Andrew

Here is the latest update of the
Love-Hounds KompilaTion tape address list.

 1. Andrew Marvick
    10499 Wilkins Avenue
    Los Angeles, CA 90024

 2. Mark Kat(e)souros
    1807 Fox St. #104
    Adelphi, MD 20783-2353

 3. john labovitz
    3314 farthing drive
    silver spring, maryland 20906

 4. Gregory Taylor/602 Russell St./Madison,
    602 Russell Street
    Madison, WI 53704

 5. Joe Testa
    196 W. 11th Ave.
    Columbus, OH 43210

 6. Peter E. Lee
    24 Puffton Village
    Amherst, MA 01002

 7. Joe Turner
    329 Ward Street
    Newton Center, MA 02139
    (617) 965-8058/969-5993

 8. Mark Ganzer
    4670 Chateau Dr
    San Diego, CA 92117

 9. Walter Henry
    xb.k98@forsyth.stanford.edu  <ARPA>

10. Dan Hall
    71 High St, Apt 2T
    Exeter, NH  03833-2908

11. Andrew Elliott
    70 Caliente
    Reno Nevada 89509
    (702) 786-8762

12. Peter Alfke
    341 S. Holliston
    Pasadena, CA 91106

13. Sue Trowbridge
    4401 Roland Avenue
    Apartment 215
    Baltimore, MD 21210

14. Phil Stephens
    4066 Yellowstone Drive,
    San Jose, Cal 95130

15. Craig M. Kanarick
    97 Willard Road
    Brookline, MA  02146

16. Jeff Dalton <jeff%aiva.edinburgh.ac.uk@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>
    AIAI
    University of Edinburgh
    80 South Bridge
    Edinburgh EH1 1HN
    Scotland

17  Neil Calton
    England

18. Bob Krovetz <Krovetz@umass.csnet>, <Krovetz@umass.bitnet>
    285 Main St., Apt. 1
    Amherst, MA. 01002

19. Tom R. Loden

20. Nathan Hess
    728 East Commonwealth Place
    Chandler, AZ  85225

21. Jim Lippard
    P.O. Box 37052
    Phoenix, AZ 85069
    Lippard at MULTICS.MIT.EDU

22. John Hogge
    510 E. Michigan #12
    Urbana, Illinois 61801

23. David A. ("DAP") Pearlman
    Dept. of Pharmaceutical Chemistry
    University of California, San Francisco
    San Francisco, CA 94143-0446

24. Jim Jones
    111 Dumbarton Rd.  Apt. B
    Baltimore MD,  21212
    ARPA:  jones@hopkins-eecs-bravo.arpa

25. Paul Benjamin
    15021 North 46th St.
    Phoenix, AZ  85032
    <Benjamin@MIT-Multics.arpa> or <Benjamin@BCO-Multics.arpa>

26. Kathy Morris
    P.O. Box 3969
    Stanford, CA 94305

27. Greg Ryan
    c/- Basser Department of Computer Science
    University of Sydney
    NSW  2006
    Australia

28. Pat Waara
    937 Edgecreek Trail
    Rochester, NY 14609

29. Paul Whiting
    Dept of Communication & Electronic Engineering,
    Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology,
    124 Latrobe St, Melbourne, 3000, Australia
        BITNET: rcopw%gecko.rmit.oz@CSNET-RELAY
        PHONE:  +61 3 660 2619.

30. Steve Berlin
    23 Puffton Village