[Message Prev] [Message Next] [Date Index]
[Love & Anger] [Gaffaweb]

Tastes & Flavours

>Actually, I overspoke.  I'm only rarely actually offended by them; 99%
>of the time I'm simply bored with them.  They are either discussing
>east coast clubs I will never get to and groups I haven't heard and probably
>don't want to; or complaining about how awful inoffensive music is and how
>superior offensive music is.  Really, I'm all for satire and political
>offensiveness, but what little punk I've heard on college stations etc
>sounds **dumb** to me.  I can't really comment on 95% of whats being discussed
>since I haven't heard it and am not willing to spend dozens of dollars on
>stuff I probably won't like just to hear it.  Strangeness has always
>appealed to me, particularly psychotic wierdness, but now it is a dime a
>dozen!!!!!  I need more than weirdness to interest me now.  I know that
>KT satisfies my criteria with her poetic-storytelling/obscure-mystic style
>(and frequently hauntingly beautiful emotional expressiveness); I just
>don't know how to interpret others' enthusiasm for Birdsongs, Diamanda(sp?),
>Butthole Surfers, etc etc, into a reasonable prediction of whether I
>would enjoy subjecting myself and my wallet to such fare.

>	- Phil		prs@oliveb.UUCP (Phil Stephens)     {really oliven}

     Unless you live in a music wasteland, there should be SOMEWHERE that
you can listen to reasonable samples of new and older new music, or perhaps
some of that "new age" stuff.  I'm sure you would concede that Henry Rollins,
Diamonda Gallas, and Sonic Youth don't appeal to everyone; similarly, Kate
Bush does not appeal to everyone either.  If you don't even make an effort
to listen to the stuff that you have not been exposed to, then you have no
reason to be annoyed or "bored", or least of all, offended, in the first
place.

      -Grey

[Gaffaweb] [Love-Hounds Archives]