[Message Prev] [Message Next] [Date Index]
[Love & Anger] [Gaffaweb]

Re: it's funny... i. hateS the ItcHing, buT hE Doesn't mInd tHe swelling!

In article <8704022344.AA00214@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> Love-Hounds writes:
>Really-From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
>
>KT News:
>^^^^^^^

> The piano style is unquestionably
>country-western (in fact, it was Gabriel himself who pointed that
>out in an interview some time back), and Kate's vocal is undoubtedly
>modelled after American country phrasing. Her phrasing for the line
>"Don't give up -- Please, do-o-on't give up!" for example, is
>undeniably an "Amurikan" invention. Gabriel has also said that
>the song was partially inspired by accounts of the dust bowl crisis.

Ah stan correkted.  I wuz kinna talkin off the top o ma head, wittout
much right knowin.  No offense intendid.

And many thanks for the list, I had no idea it would be so long.  I
assume the accessable instances are:

(lp's)
>Peter Gabriel, on "No Self Control" and "Games Without Frontiers", PG3;
>Zaine Griff, on "Flowers" (dedicated to Lindsay Kemp), 1981 LP Figures;
>Peter Gabriel, on "Don't Give Up", from 1986 LP So;
>Big Country, on "The Seer", from 1986 LP The Seer;
>Go West, on "The King is Dead", from forthcoming LP;

(video tape rental)
>Maurice Jarre, on theme from 1981(?) movie "The Magician from Lublin";
>Michael Kamen, on theme from 1985 movie "Brazil";

>>...anyone else of similar caliber? (no, I'm not interested in musical
>>terrorists and intentionally offensive superpunks, thanks.  Don't they
>>deserve a seperate mod group for their equally offensive fans to hang
>>out in???? I'm tired of them trying to slamdance my sensibilities).
>
>>-- Phil        prs@oliveb.UUCP (Phil Stephens)     {really oliven}
>
>Sorry, this is where IED gets off, Phil. He doesn't share your
>antagonism for "superpunks", or for things counter-culture, alternative
>or subversive in general; quite the opposite, if anything.

Actually, I overspoke.  I'm only rarely actually offended by them; 99%
of the time I'm simply bored with them.  They are either discussing
east coast clubs I will never get to and groups I haven't heard and probably
don't want to; or complaining about how awful inoffensive music is and how
superior offensive music is.  Really, I'm all for satire and political
offensiveness, but what little punk I've heard on college stations etc
sounds **dumb** to me.  I can't really comment on 95% of whats being discussed
since I haven't heard it and am not willing to spend dozens of dollars on
stuff I probably won't like just to hear it.  Strangeness has always
appealed to me, particularly psychotic wierdness, but now it is a dime a
dozen!!!!!  I need more than weirdness to interest me now.  I know that
KT satisfies my criteria with her poetic-storytelling/obscure-mystic style
(and frequently hauntingly beautiful emotional expressiveness); I just
don't know how to interpret others' enthusiasm for Birdsongs, Diamanda(sp?),
Butthole Surfers, etc etc, into a reasonable prediction of whether I
would enjoy subjecting myself and my wallet to such fare.

If you can think of a better way of distinguishing what I might find worth
listening to, please give it a try.... perhaps poetic-mystic-storytelling
would be the key for me.  For some out of date examples, I enjoy Blue Oyster
Cult's odd fables such as Nosferatu, Iron Man; Janis Ian's "Insanity Comes
Softly to the Well Ordered Mind"; Spirit "Mechanized World"; Moody Blues
"Nights in White Satin" (and the whole album its on, forgot title);
some miscellaneous David Bowie stuff;  The Eagles "Eight Miles High" (special
because it was the first 'psychodelic' song I heard, and because I reacted
with 'That's what music should sound like', ie what I'd been looking for but
didn't exist yet.  Oh, obviously I'm not in my 20's, but does that matter?)
... maybe I should look at my record collection for a
more representitive list, these aren't quite it...

An additional reason for asking is that I plan to learn keyboard and then
spend $1100 to $3000 on a sampling synthesizer, and it wouldn't hurt to
broaden my musical influences a tad while I'm groping around for what I
want to create myself.  Uhh... don't expect me to be going public with
the results any time soon, I want to amuse myself first, and might not
get good enough to subject others to.  As for my voice, well I've heard
worse, but...

Oh, and the slamdance reference was really a bit too cute, but I couldn't
resist.  I usually go for *understatement*, but sometimes I go to the
other extreme.  Sorry.  Well, not really.

	- Phil		prs@oliveb.UUCP (Phil Stephens)     {really oliven}
	or, if that fails:	{get to 'ames' somehow, then}!oliveb!prs

Mail welcome, but my mailer seldom cooperates when I try to reply.

[Gaffaweb] [Love-Hounds Archives]