Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

British Record Industry Awards Program

From: ganzer%trout@nosc.mil (Mark T. Ganzer)
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 87 15:24:54 PST
Subject: British Record Industry Awards Program

-------
The British Record Industry Awards program mentioned back in Feb.
made its appearance in Los Angeles last night on KHJ Ch. 9.
I was up there last night and have it on video cassette compliments of
an L.A. area co-worker.Since nothing has appeared yet about this show,
a short decription follows (hope it's not one of many)..

As mentioned previously, Kate won best British female award (they have
such good taste). She looked smashing in her black dress, although
it appeared she might have been hitting the Kit-Kats a little much
recently (Could this be the results of a new album in the works?
naw, probably just normal TV distortion).  She also presented
Peter Gabriel with the best British male award. Kate's 1986
accomplishments were listed as four top 40 singles, two top 10 albums
(both double platinum), with "The Whole Story" reaching No. 1.

The program was hosted by BBC radio personality Guy Davies, and the MC
was Jonathon King. Performing on the show were Spandau Ballet,
Simply Red, Level 42 (a bad lip sych performance), Chris De Burgh,
Curiosity Killed the Cat, Five Star, and Whitney Houston (what's she
doing on a British awards show? Must be the hook to draw more of an
American audience). The award winners are old news by now, but include
Paul Simon, Dire Straits, Five Star, the Housemartins, the Bangles,
and the Pet Shop Boys. An award for Outstanding Contribution to British
Music was given to Eric Clapton.  It was interesting to see what has
been going on across the big pond for someone like myself who only had
a passing interest in pop music for the past 10 years (in fact, I know
of Kate only by accident, having caught the Hammersmith concert on the
USA cable network. "Wuthering Heights" is one of the few songs that sent
shivers up my spine when I first heard it.  Indeed, I still prefer that
version to either the original or new version.  That ought to start
another argument. But I digress....)

Mark T. Ganzer              Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego
Internet: ganzer@nosc.mil   UUCP: {ucbvax,hplabs}!sdcsvax!nosc!ganzer

Flames to /dev/null.
-------