Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

worKing on That "anything that isn't Kate Bush is crap" image

From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 87 15:59 PST
Subject: worKing on That "anything that isn't Kate Bush is crap" image

) Seeing as I am the poor son of sharecroppers, and grew up in a
) tar-paper shack where the only books I had were Michael Nyman's
) "Experimental Music: [...]  [IED] has again and again invited
) discussion, and felt those quiet washes of pleasure at holding an
) unassailable position with as great a regularity. But what is
) this-yet another fruitless posting that again fails to address the
) issues? It strains the charity of one's heart.

Great!

) Re: Your comments about differences of opinion on musical taste...

) I don't much CARE what someone's musical opinions might be, that's
) an individual sort of thing, kinda like wearing seat belts. :-) What
) DOES matter is WHY THEY FEEL THAT WAY.  F'instance, Jon, you said
) "'SAT IN YOUR LAP' is one of the best songs produced anywhere in the
) past 10 years!"  Well, that may just be so, but WHY do you think so?
) Sure, your reasons may be subjective, but relating them has meaning
) and will help me decide whether or not to give it a listen and form
) my own opinion, rather than just get into name-calling with no
) resolution.

) NonJim

That's great, too!

) NonJim at Redondo Beach has some interesting things to say...  Well,
) unfortunately, it does seem that mud-slinging is the norm EVERYWHERE
) you go nowadays, but the flip side is that you have a boring
) syncophantic list where everyone sits around and says "Isn't
) <mumble> the greatest?"  and the replies are "Oh yes, I really love
) it!"  "It's amazing!"  so you gotta expect some dissenters out
) there...

) -- Jon Drukman

Right on the money! Great!

) As to _WHY_ I think "Sat In Your Lap" is one of the finest pieces of
) music I have personally heard in the past 10 years, it is because
) the song in question has an intriguing rhythm (12/8 time in the
) verses and 10/8 time in the chorus! wow!), a catchy tune, extremely
) clever lyrics, faultless production, and I have found that I can
) listen to it over and over again without becoming bored.  Certainly,
) any song that exhibits those qualities is something special.  I have
) also mentioned publicly on many occasions that I consider several
) other bands capable of exhibiting those qualities, and thus I rank
) them among my favorite records.  So, as a challenge to you, name one
) of YOUR favorite songs and state several reasons why.  And use a #2
) pencil, please.  (just kidding :-)

) -- jon drukman

Don't look at IED. He didn't have anything to do with this -- he's
learned his lesson. Sounds great to him!

) Please send something about garage bands (i.e. which ones you like)
) to this newsgroup, rather than sending me mail.  We need something
) to dilute out all this IED shit.

) --John

That would do it.

)From: Robert Stanzel <apollo!rps>

) Anyone have anything to say about Janzen/Barbieri's "Worlds in a
) Small Room"?  How about the "Buoy" EP, with 3/4th of Japan (Janzen,
) Karn, & Sylvian)?

) Columbia Ph.D. candidates need not apply.

Tough, here's an application from one anyway.  First of all, it's
Jansen, not Janzen (although his real name is Batt, so it probably
doesn't make much difference). Second, which Worlds in a Small Room?
The recent UK release is an abridged version of the original Japanese
LP, which included a final vocal, "Move in Circles". Third, it's
great!  "Buoy" is too! But don't buy the twelve-inch: the same mix of
"Buoy" and both b-sides are included on the LP called "Dreams of
Reason Produce Monsters", which is also great, especially the Jansen
track "Land" and the second Sylvian track, which sounds more like Tin
Drum-era Japan than anything since 1982. Which is wonderful!

-- Andy Marvick