Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

(mostly) not about IED

From: hsu%uicsrd.CSRD.UIUC.EDU@a.cs.uiuc.edu (William Tsun-Yuk Hsu)
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 87 14:36:50 cst
Subject: (mostly) not about IED

I was actually too lazy to post these but I think we need some real material
to balance out the IED stuff...

CONSPIRACION (sp?)
A Spanish industrial compilation, hence rather overpriced. It's also not
very industrial, most of the pieces being (slightly) noisy electronic
music. All the groups have great names, once I got my Spanish neighbour
to translate. Pretty boring except for Dental Deposito (trans. Tooth Fillings)
cut and one or two others. Neo-ambient types might like it.

ART BARBEQUE	FEET HACKED RAILS
Yow! Great stuff, kind of between old and new Controlled Bleedings (Lemos
is on this one also). Lots of complex textures that shift and mutate in
interesting ways. Recommended.

F/I	STRAIGHTJACKET AND AIR
Old F/i. Side 1 has some good noise. Side 2 is incredibly boring ambient
stuff. It's only $3.50 from Floating World. (Bug me for address if you
need it.)

F/I	THE CIRCLE IS THE SQUARE
YAAWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN. Got this because Ron of RRRecords gave it a
good one-word review. ("Hot!") Last time I trust him :-) :-).

How to write a bad F/i song: pick some cliched chord progression (say
Bm G Em). Have your basic guitar/bass/drums trio thump on it for 3 minutes.
Run everything thru a fuzztone/noise gate/whatever.

Good F/i has hot guitar leads or vicious airplane-type noise. The Circle
is the Square has neither. Avoid.

(Bill) Hsu, three-lettered by birth