Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Subtlety, sophistication, complexity, and refinement

From: ma179aaa@sdcc3.UCSD.EDU (Stephen A Bloch)
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 87 23:19:09 PST
Subject: Subtlety, sophistication, complexity, and refinement

Yes, IED, I've read what you said.  Over and over.  But I'm inclined
to dispute that "subtlety, sophistication, complexity, and refinement"
are themselves objectively measurable, for the simple reason that if
person A finds music X more SSC&R than music Y, and person B thinks
the other way around, person A can say (perhaps justifiably) that
music X was _too_ SSC&R for person B to appreciate.  That way lies bad
feeling.