Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Experiment IV revisted, and Skylarking

From: squids%UMASS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu (The UMass Squids Association)
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 87 11:12:46 EST
Subject: Experiment IV revisted, and Skylarking

Let me take this opportunity to second Ranjit's nomination
of "SKYLARKING" by XTC... This is definitely one of the top two
albums of last year... (Don't ask me what number one is, I haven't
the faintest idea)

And, for those of you hardcore love-hounds who may remember my
letter that took slight exception to the "flat" production and
musical values expressed in "Experiment IV" let me just clarify
my position (then and now):
First, I said that I thought it was "a bit flat (compared to the
level of stuff Kate is capable of producing)"  I was told that
the 12" version is slightly superior to it.  Well, I finally
got hold of a copy and have listened to it extensively.  I think
the violin solo is VASTLY OVERRATED.  Sure, it's *good* and it's
not something you'll find in a lot of modern music output, but
it also sounds incredibly melodramatic and weepy.  This could
count in its favor, though, when you consider the theme of the
song.  But, overall, I find it no great shakes.  And when I said
that I considered the music and production "flat" I didn't mean
flat in the sense of "lacking depth and technical quality and/or
polish" but flat in the sense of "not filled with the vibrant
dynamism and sheer inspirational musical and productional ideas
that Kate brought us in such intense *classics as Sat In Your Lap
and Jig Of Life" -- it STILL seems like a mediocre Top 40 song!
(to me anyway, if you get off on it, more power to yoa)

Enough ranting - rememeber:
Time is money, especially a good time.

Jon Drukman