Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

(none)

From: hogge@p.cs.uiuc.edu (John Hogge)
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 87 17:44:28 cst
Subject: (none)

>Speaking of which, I think I already said so but S.R.'s "Ceremonial" album
>is good stuff, altho without the bite that the first album had.  They're not
>angry anymore, I guess.  More melodic, less savage.  Some of the first side
>even gets a bit REMmy.  The second side has long instrumentals that jam out
>and, even though their mood has mellowed, keep alive the spirit of the band.
>Mood music, I guess, but not Windham-Hill style.  Hof' might even like this
>album.

You can account for Ceremonial's sound entirely by listening to 17 Pigmies.
Lovelace joined Savage Republic and has moved their sound in that direction.
While I like Ceremonial, I hope they move back to their original concepts,
or move elsewhere.  The 17 Pigmies album I have is ok, but not nearly as
impressive as SR's albums.

Incidentally, Trudge is worth getting.

BTW Peter, what comparisons were you hinting at between Sonic Youth and
"Crowley and Reich"?

--John