Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Dealing with detraKTion

From: nessus (Doug Alan)
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 86 20:59:31 EST
Subject: Re: Dealing with detraKTion

> What does one say to a would-be Kate fan with reservations about her
> voice?

Hi Nancy!  One says:

	(1) "Get new ears, buster!"

	(2) "Let me show you my collection of Nina Hagen / Lene Lovich /
	    Throwing Muses / Diamanda Galas records."

	(3) "You cannot fully accept Kate because you have let Madonna
	    into your soul.  Accept Kate now and reject Madonna or
	    you will not obtain eternal life and are doomed to be
	    lost forever in a top-40 discoteque.  Kate suffers for
	    your sins."

But seriously, I found Kate's voice awfully disturbing and grating the
first dozen times I listened to *The Dreaming*.  Then when I finally
got used to her voice and bought *The Kick Inside*, I was again
totally shocked by her voice and again found it grating for a while.
But you all know what I think of her voice now.  It's the most
beautiful sound I know of.  Beauty is a type of pain, and those things
which affect us the most deeply and are the most beautiful will be
those which unsettle, disturb, and perhaps hurt, the most.

Tell your friend that it's precisely because her voice is unusual that
many people like Kate's voice, and for a large fraction of these, it took
them a long time to get used to it.  But it was always worth it for
them.

If he never gets to like her voice, well then, he will be missing out
on the best music in existence.  I guess he can always listen to Pat
Benetar doing "Wuthering Heights" instead (glrblurch..), or the
Love-Hounds tape, when it comes out.

				|>oug

"Western wind, when will thou blow,
 The small rains down can rain?