Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Dealing with detraKTion

From: Nancy Everson <everson@spca.bbn.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 86 15:23:40 EST
Subject: Dealing with detraKTion

Hi everyone.  I'm looking for some advice.  I was telling a friend of mine
about Love-Hounds, and he made some comment to the effect that it seemed to
be "too much, even for Kate." He then went on to add, "What I want to know
is, how does one get past her voice?" He called that wonderful voice
"screechy", "shrill", "like a little girl", and "hard to listen to".

I spoke to him later, and he stressed that while he greatly admires her
composition and arrangements, he feels that another voice would be "more
effective" in some places.

What can I say to him?  Her voice isn't something that one needs to "get
past", I think it's wonderful.  And just who could have a more effective
voice than Kate for her songs?  He's left me speechless; I didn't know what
to say.  So I am posing a question to Love-Hounds:

What does one say to a would-be Kate fan with reservations about her voice?

				    - nancy

P.S.  I'll pass any flames along to him.

nancy everson  (everson@spca.bbn.com)
bbn software products corporation, cambridge mass