Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

stuff

From: hsu@uicsrd.CSRD.UIUC.EDU (William Tsun-Yuk Hsu)
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 86 13:54:50 cst
Subject: stuff

(Our mailer is working for the first time in days, so you guys will
have to put up with my babblings again...)

Re: the great Kate Bush covers conspiracy
Yow! *This* Dada duck is definitely going to whip up something... no
specific ideas that are sufficiently offbeat yet. I can only promise
it will be weird... (is Doug doing something on his own already or...?)

More music:

New EP by Plan 9 is decent (I picked it up cheap so I'm not complaining.)
This opium song on side 2 is good and comes close to the psychedelic haze
of their 10-min. version of Frustration. There's some fake '50s stuff
(is it a cover?) that I didn't care for.

Finally found Talking Heads '77 by Peach of Immortality. These self-styled
gods of the DC scene certainly can't live up to their own hot air.
The album is close to 50 minutes of live noise-jam stuff. At their best
they sound like a noisy delirious version of Christian Marclay. They
make good use of dynamics and silence, but I have many more exciting
records by DC bands.

Pleasantly surprised by some old Venus in Furs. Usually I don't go for
the dark, smooth euro-synth sound that's on their first mini-album,
but it had a little noisy guitar and found tape stuff to give the
songs just enough of an edge. Roxy Music fans should check it out.

Agree with John: Severed Heads double-lp was boring. Kind of agree with
John: I found both the music and lyrics of Nocturnal Emissions boring.
Classic example of how NOT to write political songs. (Classic example
of how to write political songs: Art Bears' The World As It Is Today.)
Good music to study numerical analysis to.

Latest Village Voice has a short snippet by Simon Frith, so browse
at your local newstand. The movie section on trashy horror flicks
is useless. Christgau's column is also pretty mundane; doesn't he
listen to any interesting music these days?

Bill